Recommendations for a cheap-but-decent IEM - The PortaPro of IEMs?
Jan 21, 2008 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SevenForce

New Head-Fier
I'm always pleased to see friends' reactions upon listening to my PortaPro, especially when I tell them how much they cost.

Although IEMs are generally quite expensive, is there a relatively cheap pair that has the same bang-for-buck as the PortaPro? I'm not expecting anything approaching audiophile-standard, but something that is pretty comfortable, isolates well and offers good value would be nice.

I see a lot of talk about UE Super.fi's and Shures, but I was wondering if there was something decent closer to the $30-50 range.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 10
If you want to go cheap you could get some JVC Marshmallows. Good isolation, decent (albeit bass heavy) sound, good construction.

If you Kramer mod them they sound much better. A good beater phone in my personal opinion.

Jan 21, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #3 of 10
Wow, they are cheap!
They're actually for my girlfriend, to replace the stock buds she got with her Zen Stone. She's not 'into' headphones as such, but I don't like to see loved ones ruin their music with stocks
biggrin.gif
...hopefully these should do the trick.

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 10
Hmm... I'm reading mixed things about the isolation they provide. They'll be mostly used on the tube, so good isolation is pretty important, as is comfort for someone with rather small ears.

What would be a good replacement tip to buy for them?

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 10
For the isolation, I get pretty good isolation when I insert them upside down and place the wires around my ears. When I was in my car today, I barely heard anything on the freeway.

As for the tips, I'm pretty sure the Shure tips for the E2 work well.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenForce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I'm reading mixed things about the isolation they provide. They'll be mostly used on the tube, so good isolation is pretty important, as is comfort for someone with rather small ears.

What would be a good replacement tip to buy for them?

If the isolation from the Marshmallows isn't good enough, The JVC HA-FX55 should provide a bit more isolation and has been coming down in price as well.

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 10
Last time I saw the FX55's they were around 35 bucks. Mind you, this was at Korea, so the price might differ. However, reading many posts about these, I think this is a good deal.

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the isolation, I get pretty good isolation when I insert them upside down and place the wires around my ears. When I was in my car today, I barely heard anything on the freeway.

As for the tips, I'm pretty sure the Shure tips for the E2 work well.

I hope I'm right in assuming that you weren't driving.

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last time I saw the FX55's they were around 35 bucks. Mind you, this was at Korea, so the price might differ. However, reading many posts about these, I think this is a good deal.

They've dropped in price at my local Fred Meyer's and Sears to $25. Of course, that may just be my local stores trying to clear backed up merchandise or refurbished stuff.

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by patalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope I'm right in assuming that you weren't driving.

Nope, I'm 15! and my mom was driving...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back