Recommendations for a CD player + amp to pair with a set of AKG 612 Pro's (Around $100 each)
Dec 5, 2014 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FlamingAntsBear

New Head-Fier
Hi, everybody!

I've had my AKG 612 Pro's for a month and I'm really enjoying them. I was hoping for some suggestions on a CD/DVD player and amp that would work well together with them. I'll be listening mostly to NiN, Pink Floyd, Muse, Gorillaz, and Radiohead, but I'm kind of all over the place as far as music choice. Really I just what something clean and detailed. I don't need any funny business. Not too picky about it, as I don't have much hi-fi experience. :p

Anyways, in summary just looking for a simple CD set up that will work well with my 612's. Aiming for around $100 a piece, but I'm flexible on price. Focus on clean, detailed output.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if I can clarify anything!

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 13
Look for used OPPO DV-983H or OPPO DV-980H.  They play and read SACD, HDCD and many other formats too.

Can't help you with the amp, as I don't have any experience with that can.  You should probably check the Equipment Forums and find a thread or two devoted to your headphone.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 13
What can I say Bill? I'm an old fashioned guy. 
wink.gif

Thanks for the tips. Those do look promising. And pretty killer for DVD's to boot.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 13
  Hi, everybody!

I've had my AKG 612 Pro's for a month and I'm really enjoying them. I was hoping for some suggestions on a CD/DVD player and amp that would work well together with them. I'll be listening mostly to NiN, Pink Floyd, Muse, Gorillaz, and Radiohead, but I'm kind of all over the place as far as music choice. Really I just what something clean and detailed. I don't need any funny business. Not too picky about it, as I don't have much hi-fi experience. :p

Anyways, in summary just looking for a simple CD set up that will work well with my 612's. Aiming for around $100 a piece, but I'm flexible on price. Focus on clean, detailed output.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if I can clarify anything!

How about giving up on the retro style.
Get a FiiO X1 and make FLACs of all your CDs?

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 13
That is a thought. The question is, do you think that thing can compete with a full desktop setup? It looks amazing for portable music, and definitely something I'd want down the road, but if portability isn't the issue, is it superior? I'm afraid I'm not so knowledgeable about these things.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 13
That is a thought. The question is, do you think that thing can compete with a full desktop setup? It looks amazing for portable music, and definitely something I'd want down the road, but if portability isn't the issue, is it superior? I'm afraid I'm not so knowledgeable about these things.

It's a copy, so it is not going to be superior.  At best (depending on the soft and hard ware) it's a near perfect copy in a much smaller and different size.

Not for me--at least not as a replacement.  But them I still spin vinyl too (and listen to SACD, HDCD, Blu-Ray Audio. DVD-A--some of it in 5.1).

Dec 5, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 13

I'm not an expert in CD players, but i can't see how a $100 CD player is going to offer any audio quality better then the a FiiO X3 or even a FiiO X1
A FLAC audio files should really sound just as good as a music CD, especially in this price range (for equipment).
Plus it's so much easier to play audio from a FiiO X1/X3, then having to swap CDs.
A $20 32GB SDHC memory card (which can be plugged into the FiiO X1/X3), I guess could hold hundreds of FLAC audio music files.
And the FiiO X1's built in headphone amplifier should be able to fairly (decently) drive the K612 Pros, maybe it's a little easier for the X3.
You also have the option of connecting an external headphone amplifier to the X1 or X3. maybe invest into a tube amplifier.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 13
These are all pretty compelling points. I'm the kind of guy that will drop the money for a desktop setup, even if it's only a little better. I guess the question at this point is if it even is better.

I just can't see how a modern CD player is going to be better, there is no compelling reason for manufacturers in improve the design.
Everyone is buying Blu-ray players or Digital audio players (FiiO X1/X3/X5).
So there are not going to be any $100 CD players coming with the newest updates and improvements.
More like older designs they just keep manufacturing as long as a few still buy them.

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #12 of 13
I just can't see how a modern CD player is going to be better, there is no compelling reason for manufacturers in improve the design.
Everyone is buying Blu-ray players or Digital audio players (FiiO X1/X3/X5).
So there are not going to be any $100 CD players coming with the newest updates and improvements.
More like older designs they just keep manufacturing as long as a few still buy them.

Hmm. A good point. Maybe the FiiO is a better option for now until I can afford higher end hardware. I'll keep that in mind.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 13
Or, store the music library on a PC, and use network streaming to feed the digital files directly to a high-end DAC.

http://www.psaudio.com/perfectwave-dac/
http://hometheaterreview.com/marantz-na-11s1-network-audio-player-and-dac-reviewed/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back