Recommendations for a budding audiophile
May 3, 2016 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Akash Ray

New Head-Fier
Hi all, it's been a year since I last posted in this forum yet my topic remains the same. I've been reading up articles on headfi regularly and have learnt quite a lot. Also, I have finished high school and will be starting my college education in the latter part of this year. Without further adieu let me address the topic I want all your help with.

I'm keen on buying a new pair of audiophile headphones for myself. I'm a professional pianist and have a sharp ear for detail.I listen mainly to Trance, orchestral and Indian classical music.
I bought myself a FiiO x1 last year and I'm loving it for what it is and how beautifully it suffices my needs within my budget.
Most of my music collection is in FLAC (70%) and the rest (30%) is 320 kbps Mp3.
While reading numerous posts on headfi throughout the past year, I've narrowed down the headphones I'd like to buy. I don't have any preference for open/closed back since I have earphones which I'd probably use when I go out of my house. I would strongly prefer a cab which is as detailed and neutral to the source as possible and won't require any further amping beyond what my FiiO X1 can deliver. I'm not good at using EQ at all and hence a neutral sound will be preferable, but in case any of the headphones require EQ it would be great if you could tell me what bands I should tweak and by how much.
I might buy a dac-amp combo next year, but that's just a thought that I'm not too sure of as college is going to be pretty expensive.
Also I'm a member of massdrop.com and the deals right now seem amazing! :)

These are the headphones which I've narrowed down upon yet I wouldn't mind if you suggested otherwise. I'm not able to spend too much (about $150 at most but I live in India) but the delay online also seem pretty slick at the moment. So here goes in my order of preference -
1. Sennheiser Hd 598 (Se)
2. Hifiman He 350 (Massdrop.com) [any idea how it would sound?]
3. Akg K553 pro (Massdrop.com)
4. Beyerdynamic DT 770/990
5. Audio Technica m50x (not neutral as per what I've read, seems pretty hyped)

Thanks a lot for going through, I sincerely hope this helps me and others like me to make the best purchase as per their needs.

May 3, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 16
HD 598 has laid back and relaxed sound. Since, you live in India and mentioned 770 and M50, Soundmagic HP150 is better option and available locally. 

P.S. Selling my new condition 598SE. PM me if interested. 

May 7, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 16
My thoughts:

Closed--HP150

Open--HD598 (SE or ivory). 598 has a better soundstage than the K553 Pro or the HP150, which could be positive for classical/orchestral/opera music. Piano really does sound amazing on the 598. Best of luck to you in your search. :)

May 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 16
I'm gonna go with a HD598 SE finally since it is highly recommended by most of you and also because Sennheiser as a brand has much better recognition and service centres here in India, if something happened to the Sound Magics I'd have to buy a new one since that brand is practically non-existent over here. My previous headphones did serve me a glorious 4 years which I'm rather proud of, rugged JVCs I tell you, I abused them till the wire snapped and one ear stopped and the non-removable cable made repair Impossible.
I'm getting the Senns at a lesser price which atm is good for me, looking forward to rediscovering my Music Library once again!
CHEERS! :)

May 9, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 16
The Sennheiser is a great first buy.  It happens to be a little bass light without amplification, but with a decent amp you can get more from the midbass area.  So, if the headphone is  a bit light in the bass don't count out adding in amplification.   I'd personally go the Schiit stack if import fees aren't too bad for you.   

May 11, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not much of a bass head and I've heard many people say that though it's bass is a little light it is 'adequate'.
I can't say much about that right now but will only get to know once I listen to them. Hope they are enough for my taste since I'll not really have any money to spend on more gear in the near future (college :p )

May 12, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 16
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm not much of a bass head and I've heard many people say that though it's bass is a little light it is 'adequate'.

I can't say much about that right now but will only get to know once I listen to them. Hope they are enough for my taste since I'll not really have any money to spend on more gear in the near future (college :p )

Think of them as more like average bookshelf speakers than tower speakers. Not good for deep bass, but OK when it comes to the midbass.

Since you have the X1, you can always use the EQ to boost the bass a little.

May 13, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 16
Still haven't purchased yet, are there any better alternatives in my budget ~ $150. I'm settling for these since they seem to be the best in my budget. What do u reccomend?
Anything in my budget which could fit into the 'tower speaker' category of headphones? @cel4145

Users who are viewing this thread

Back