Recommendations for a Bluetooth over ear headset
Mar 2, 2015 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jtyson

New Head-Fier
I currently have a set of Bose QC15's and I actually enjoy the sound quality. I know there are better out there and Bose are more marketing gimmick than anything else, but these get the job done pretty well. However, I don't like the leash. The whole world is wireless now, so I feel it is time I search for good over the ear headphones that are as well.

Desires

- Good sound quality. For music, I listen to everything from Rap, Classic Rock, Jazz, Oldies, Country, Pop, Metal, and a number of in between genre bands. I will also use these for watching movies/TV on my iPad and iMac. I'm not sure if I'd call myself an audiophile or not. I enjoy things a little bass heavy, but can't deal with that muddying everything else up. I've tried a set of wireless beats studios and they sounded like garbage to me. My Bose QC15's sound pretty good but could use a bit more bottom end.
-Comfortable. I don't imagine I'll be wearing them for more than a couple hours at a time, but still, I don't want to constantly be taking breaks to give my ears a break.
-Durable - Relatively so. Again, won't see heavy street use, just don't want to be putting them on and have them snap.
-Reasonably priced. I like nice things, but I'm not Midas. No set budget, just best bang for your buck.

Don't cares

-Fashionable. I could really care less how these look. I haven't been fashionable since I was in high school, and frankly I'm still embarrassed to see pictures of myself at that point to this day.
-Brand. I'm not partial to anything, or impartial. With the exception of Beats. I've had Studios, urBeats, beats Pros, and Studio wireless and never was satisfied with any of them completely.

Would be cools

-Weight. They shouldn't be unreasonably heavy, but I don't care if they are featherweights either. Sure lighter is better, as long as sound quality and build quality aren't sacrificed.
-Long battery life. 10+ hours would be awesome, although anything north of 5 hours I'd deem acceptable.
-Local availability. If I could try them on before I buy them, that'd be great.
-Noise cancelling. I like this feature more for other people than myself. The silence is nice, but ultimately, I don't want to force others around me to hear what I am listening to.
-Longevity/Lifespan. I normally buy and sell everything relatively quickly, so this may or may not matter, but if I get something that fits my needs, it'd be great not to need to replace them for a few years, unless of course I want to.
-Good warranty. If I buy it new, I want it to be covered for a good amount of time.

Appreciate any and all input!

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 3
First, "reasonably priced" is different to different people. So best to suggest a budget range.

Second, you may not get many recommendations because bluetooth headphones are not very popular on Head-Fi:

1) With bluetooth headphones, you are also paying for the bluetooth receiver, built in DAC, and built in headphone amp. There are always better wired headphones for the money.

2) Basic bluetooth transmission is audibly lossy in sound quality. At the very least, you would want to use AptX with bluetooth as it is apparently much better.

3) Most Head-Fiers like to use a good DAC/headphone amp or be able to upgrade. With bluetooth, you are stuck with the built in one.

Anyway, Innerfidelity has bluetooth headphones listed in their wireless Wall of Fame list:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 3
I appreciate the honest response. I do realize that the "reasonably priced" thing is relative. I'd like to pay no more than $300, but if something heads above everything else is $450, I'd consider it. Not sure I could talk myself into a $500+ pair of headphones simply because I don't use headphones all that often.

As for quality, I'm aware that wired will almost always be superior to bluetooth because it is a physical connection. However, quality-wise, I'm pleased with the sound quality of my Bose QC15s, so I think that is more my baseline than the typical BAD to AWESOME scale.

I would probably far prefer the quality of a good set of wired cans with an amp, but that isn't the portable option I need. Also, I already have too many expensive hobbies, so I'd prefer not to get addicted to something else for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back