Recommendations for a beginner audiophile headphone (under 200)
Jan 24, 2017 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ItsMine

New Head-Fier
Hello

So i was looking at reviews and most are leading to either the Sennheiser 598 or the Beyerdynamic DT990's, which one of these would be better, or are there anything else that's better in the same price range? (230 C$)

It'd be better to get headphones that don't leak too much sound, (yes i know both the ones i listed are open back) but i heard they aren't as good compared, but if there is one in that range then any recommendations would be really helpful.

As for type of music it is mostly mainstream pop,electronic, rock etc like by mainstream i mean like Alan waker faded, All we know, chainsmokers etc

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 8
Audio Technica ATH-M50X. Give them a try. Unlike the above two you listed, you won't need to invest in an amp just yet. It's also cheaper than the above two and has a closed back.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 8
the M50X's are good choice.. no amp needed.. bomb proof build .. my ATH M50's (non X's) are about 5yrs old now.. I did mod them to removable cable.. They have held up very well and have traveled quite a lot with me.

of the two you have listed I'd get the 598's ... the DT990's don't do it for me.. they are pretty harshly bright..   The closed back DT770's actually have a quite decent sound stage for closed cans .. I quite like my Pro 80's ..less portable but a bit nicer sound than the M50's but the M50's win for portable usage.

If you are looking at the DT990's consider the DT880's also.. they are semi open and leak a fair bit also but they are not nearly so bright as the DT990's.

for the budding audiophile I also quite like the Sony MDR-V6's a classic design that has been around since the 80s very comfortable as they are light they also are very durable...   stock the portability isn't great because of the long coiled cable.. I modded mine to removable cable.    The V6's don't have the same bass boost as teh M50's but they have a nice enjoyable sound ..bass is there it just isn't boosted really.  The V6's also will not require an amp.

You might also want to consider the Phillips 9500's which get quite a lot of praise.. I haven't listened to these however.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 8
I'll rank a few headphones I have owned that are within your budget. Descending order. My own preference only.

STAX SR-30
Yamaha HPH-MT220 (used to be $150 but was discontinued, so you may have to buy it used)
Koss KTXPRO1
beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition (aka Premium) 600 Ω
Philips SHP9500
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
Koss UR40
Koss KSC75
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (only ranked lower than its brothers due to its overwhelming bass that can be fixed via EQ)
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR-7506

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Im in Canada so it's around 60$ more. (m50x is 250, while beyer is 224 and 598 is 190). and Yes that one also came up a lot but was rather worried because of many YT reviews against it, not so sure how accurate they are though, but they were claiming it's hyped like beats, but yes if i can i'll try it out first only problem is im in a small uni town so aside from trips to the city only option is ordering it through NCIX or amazon

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 8
  so would you say the DT 880's are a good choice in that budget?

Yeah. You can get a lower impedance version that is easier to drive without an amp, but they reportedly have lower sound quality than the 600 ohm version. Subjectively I prefer the $10 Koss KTXPRO1 over the DT 880. Your mileage may vary.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 8
  I'll rank a few headphones I have owned that are within your budget. Descending order. My own preference only.

STAX SR-30
Yamaha HPH-MT220 (used to be $150 but was discontinued, so you may have to buy it used)
Koss KTXPRO1
beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition (aka Premium) 600 Ω
Philips SHP9500
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
Koss UR40
Koss KSC75
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (only ranked lower than its brothers due to its overwhelming bass that can be fixed via EQ)
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR-7506

Thank you, will look into them as well. and is the DT 770 pro 80 ohm black edition any good(compared to the m50x)? there is a nice sale going on them. the 880's are a bit more expensive but i'll see if i can find them for cheaper, also what would the difference be between the "pro" and "premium" versions? and i don't have an amp, just, galaxy S7E and laptop&pc so mostly will be connected to those 3, although the pc has a xonar sound card, will they be fine to run them with? and i haven't really used any audiophile headphones before just used the "gaming" ones so would there be a noticeable difference without an amp from the get go?

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back