Recommendations for a AMP/DAC to pair with my AKG Q701s? (Preferably under 250$)
Jun 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chsenigma

New Head-Fier
Hello Headfiers,

I recently acquired a pair of AKG Q701s, and while I primarily intend to use them with my Roland RD-700nx Keyboard for late night practicing, I also would like to use them to listen to my extensive collection of high quality recordings. (FLAC) Since the 3.5mm headphone out on my laptop does a pitiful job of trying to power these new cans, I find myself looking for a USB Amp/DAC that will do them justice. (for a reasonable price)

While I am new to the head-fi/audiophile community, I have spent the last 15 years of my life developing my ears as a classically trained musician. I prefer my audio to be transparent, clear, honest, and uncolored, and want an Amp/DAC that will reproduce my music in this fashion. (If I play a bad recording through my rig, It better sound god awful :wink:

What are my options?

Jun 13, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 11
I'm not sure $250 is going to get you there man.  Any chance to expand that boundary a bit?

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 11
     Well, I don't mind spending more than that if Its something I'm going to be happy with. 250$ is what I would like to spend. My max would be somewhere around 500$.  Obviously I'm not looking for something summit-fi, I just want something that's going to pair nicely with my Q701s. (it seems silly to me to spend 1000$  on a Amp/DAC to pair with a 300$ set of cans)

Jun 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 11
I'm not sure $250 is going to get you there man.  Any chance to expand that boundary a bit?

I'd dissagree. There are budget amp/DACs (under $250) that can do the job. Of course not as good as an Apex Pinnacle ($10,000), but I think there are plenty of amps satisfactory for a beginning head-fier.

I don't have any first hand experience with 701's (or 702's) so I can't give you any advice based on my own experience.
But, one cheap, but excellent, amp/DAC is the almost famous Audio-GD NFB-12 for $200. I don't know about it's synergy with the AKG 701's, but I don't think it should be a problem. Especially because they got recommended in similar thread about AKG 702's (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557946/300-budget-for-my-akg-702s-need-an-amp-and-dac)

I personally have an NFB-12, and use it as a dedicated DAC. And I can tell you that even then it is worth it's price.

Jun 13, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

I'd dissagree. There are budget amp/DACs (under $250) that can do the job. Of course not as good as an Apex Pinnacle ($10,000), but I think there are plenty of amps satisfactory for a beginning head-fier.

I don't have any first hand experience with 701's (or 702's) so I can't give you any advice based on my own experience.
But, one cheap, but excellent, amp/DAC is the almost famous Audio-GD NFB-12 for $200. I don't know about it's synergy with the AKG 701's, but I don't think it should be a problem. Especially because they got recommended in similar thread about AKG 702's (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/557946/300-budget-for-my-akg-702s-need-an-amp-and-dac)

I personally have an NFB-12, and use it as a dedicated DAC. And I can tell you that even then it is worth it's price.

"I have spent the last 15 years of my life developing my ears as a classically trained musician. I prefer my audio to be transparent, clear, honest, and uncolored, and want an Amp/DAC that will reproduce my music in this fashion."

For what the OP has described, I was thinking something along the lines of a Buffalo-II with a Beta-22/Sigma-22.  That, or Meier Corda Symphony.

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #7 of 11
Keep the suggestions coming guys... I know at this price point I'm going to have to make some compromises, but I really would like to have all my options on the table before I make this decision. Thanks for the suggestions up to this point.

chsenigma (OP)

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 11
A budget would help. Doesn't have to be exact, but more along the lines:
Are you willing to spend $250?
Are you willing to spend $350?
Are you willing to spend $500?
Are you willing to spend $600?

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, I've got the K-702's and ended up purchasing the Audio-gd Fun, but I haven't received it yet, so cant really say anything about it.

Although I was really in doubt between that and the NFB-12, wich is cheaper. Did a lot of reading and other users have stated it does a good job with the 702's as well.
Not of much help, I know, but maybe you should read the NFB-12 thread and see what you think about it.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 11
The Matrix M-Stage and Lovely Cube (both are Lehmann Black Cube clones) get good reviews when it comes to k701. Also, the KICAS Caliente was well regarded. It was recently discontinued, but I saw some used ones this week in the head-fi for-sale area. All three amps are in the $200 to $300 range, as I recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back