Recommendations for a “bassy” iem
Sep 19, 2018 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ixtac

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been going through some of the threads on here in search for some quality iems for daily use. I listen to a lot of EDM/vocal music so I would like something with good bass and a good/decent soundstage and vocals. I have been reading the basshead thread and have found a lot of people mentioning the IMR R1 and I would really like to considered these, but I’ve noticed people mentioning the way that the cables connect to the IEM are a bit odd. The way people describe these iems sound like they would suit my needs perfect but I am not sure if there will be a problem when using them along with Bluetooth wires because of the way they connect to the IEM. If anyone hasn’t any experience with using these along with a Bluetooth cable, I would like to hear your thoughts. Another option I was looking at is the TFZ Secret Garden, these look like they would fit good along with a Bluetooth cable, but I am not sure about how they would perform.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would gladly take them into consideration. The sooner the better as the R1 seem to have limited supplies left.
I would prefer and IEM hat provides good sound isolation, not too heavy, and something below $500.00 would be preferred. I hear a lot of people mentioning CA andromeda, but that’s a bit out of my range. I could get these but I would have to save for a bit longer and would like to have something sooner than later. One last requirement is size, I would like something that doesn’t stick out because I occasionally ride my motorcycle with 1 earphone in.

Just for reference I currently use skullcandy method wireless for everyday, and I have some B&W P7 for at home listening. I really enjoy my P7, but they are wired and too big for everyday.

Thanks for taking the time and reading and providing any feedback.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Hello,

I have been going through some of the threads on here in search for some quality iems for daily use. I listen to a lot of EDM/vocal music so I would like something with good bass and a good/decent soundstage and vocals. I have been reading the basshead thread and have found a lot of people mentioning the IMR R1 and I would really like to considered these, but I’ve noticed people mentioning the way that the cables connect to the IEM are a bit odd. The way people describe these iems sound like they would suit my needs perfect but I am not sure if there will be a problem when using them along with Bluetooth wires because of the way they connect to the IEM. If anyone hasn’t any experience with using these along with a Bluetooth cable, I would like to hear your thoughts. Another option I was looking at is the TFZ Secret Garden, these look like they would fit good along with a Bluetooth cable, but I am not sure about how they would perform.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would gladly take them into consideration. The sooner the better as the R1 seem to have limited supplies left.
I would prefer and IEM hat provides good sound isolation, not too heavy, and something below $500.00 would be preferred. I hear a lot of people mentioning CA andromeda, but that’s a bit out of my range. I could get these but I would have to save for a bit longer and would like to have something sooner than later. One last requirement is size, I would like something that doesn’t stick out because I occasionally ride my motorcycle with 1 earphone in.

Just for reference I currently use skullcandy method wireless for everyday, and I have some B&W P7 for at home listening. I really enjoy my P7, but they are wired and too big for everyday.

Thanks for taking the time and reading and providing any feedback.

The IMR R1 is about to be replaced by a different model, so if you're interested in the R1 but have doubts about the cabling, you might want to wait and see if that's improved in the update.

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 7
I do remember reading this, however I am new to IEMs and not sure about how the replacement of the R1 may sound like. I would also like to get something sooner than later, but if necessary I could wait.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd say get the iBasso IT01, which has great bass and if it's not strong enough for you by default, will take a bass boost well. Plenty cheaper than the R1. Very comfortable for most people, and uses a standard MMCX connector.

But I haven't heard the R1, and most folks who have love it and regard the b-stock prices as a great value.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 7
I would say
I'd say get the iBasso IT01, which has great bass and if it's not strong enough for you by default, will take a bass boost well. Plenty cheaper than the R1. Very comfortable for most people, and uses a standard MMCX connector.

But I haven't heard the R1, and most folks who have love it and regard the b-stock prices as a great value.
I would say the same thing. It01 is a great iem with a much less price. It04 is even better if you are able to pay more

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Ill look into the IT01. Do you guys have any experience with either of them? Does the housing stick out of the ears a lot? I did see one user review where they stated they could sleep with the IT01, but the IT04 stuck out a bit. Just trying to see if any more people have same or different opinion.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Ill look into the IT01. Do you guys have any experience with either of them? Does the housing stick out of the ears a lot? I did see one user review where they stated they could sleep with the IT01, but the IT04 stuck out a bit. Just trying to see if any more people have same or different opinion.
It is my experience that my IT01 has a fairly modest profile compared to some of my others. I can lay down with mine without much in the way of discomfort. It just does not stick out that far. Not sure how many drivers the IT04 has (4?) but that may be the explanation for the difference in the two units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back