Recommendations for $400 / pair speakers
Jul 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dviswa

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Everybody,
Over the weekend, I helped a friend setup his new Pioneer Elite 50 reciever and his old JBL 5.1 speakers.  I found the setup a little harsh and lacking in upper bass and mid.  Since then he has plans of buying a pair of speakers to swap out the main pair, for maybe around $400.  The sub is in a good shape and will be retained. 

Any recommendations please?

Thanks,
Dinesh

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 5
A pair of these (Reference series) would vastly outperform the JBL's... http://emotiva.com/erm62.shtm The price is a little higher than the 400 USD target but well worth the extra $$$

Peete.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi Peete,
Thanks a lot for the recommendation, it is now on the short list.

Do you have any opinion on other items on
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

My friend also went out to Best Buy and added these to the list, any opinions?
Polk TSi 300 or TSI 400
Sony SSF-7000 /5000

Thanks,
Dinesh

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I have a pair of the Klipsch 8" reference bookshelf speakers, quite sensitive and I like them a lot.  I think I paid about $500 for them, they don't sell the RB-75s anymore but perhaps have some like it, I got a good deal...probably the smaller sized 6.5" Klipsch would work well too as mine are quite hefty.

Jul 8, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 5
The ERM 6.2's are quite a bit better than the Best Buy stuff or the HSU Research mini monitors...the most compelling reason for recommending the ERM 6.2's are it's performance number 1 ( 2 x 6.5 in woofers can move quite a bit of air) , number 2 the ability to change response if used on a bookshelf or close to a wall  ( via boundary compensation circuitry built into the Xovers at the flick of a toggle on the back panel) and the ability to cut or boost the tweeters output via another toggle (on the back panel). You can also bi-wire or bi amp the 6.2's which gives yet another level of possible improvement (SQ wise).Overall these features make the 6.2's extremely flexible which one does not usually see (as useful practical features) at this price point.

I am highly tempted by the Ref series ERM 8.3 speakers myself and bet they would be a killer system for the cottage....then again I might DIY a pair for such a purpose.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back