Recommendations for 200-250 Headphones + A bunch of nubbish questions. :P
Jun 18, 2014 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jai127

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, Just joined here to experience the true way music was meant
I wanted to ask you guys for a recommendation for some 200-250 USD headphones. The headphones would have to compensate for my ungodly large ears (Currently fitting comfortably into a pair of Turtle Beach X11 gaming headphones if that gives you a indication of size) as well as look decent and most importantly be durable. I recently threw out a pair of Beats Solo (Monster era) for having the headband begin to peel after a year's worth of infrequent usage. I want something that can last me in terms of appearance and performance for 2-3 years. 

I plan on using the headphones with Spotify Premium  (Pls don't hate. Any sources of higher quality music would be greatly appreciated) on a wide variety of music genres such as Country, House, Rap, Hip-Hop, EDM... (ETC). I guess I'm looking for a pair of headphones that perform well all around in various types of music and for some video watching, eventually moving into the world of desktop amps and such. I currently use a Macbook Pro if that really affects anything in terms of compatibility.

Anyways thanks for the adivce,

A scrub in audiophilia,
Jai127

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 6
Are you thinking of another closed back such as the Solo and X11?

Your big ear stipulation cuts the field down, but here's a closed one -

Sennheiser HD380 Pro

And an open one (leaks sound both ways but music sounds a bit more natural) -

Sennheiser HD600

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 6
I was leaning toward on-ear actually. I was looking at the V-MODA XS, Sennheiser Momentums, I've also heard great things about Shure, and Audiotechnica. Any recommendations from that end? 

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 6
The Momentum on-ear is good for the money - warm with a bit of a dip in the mid range with good detail - I've not tried the V Modas but they appear to be similar.

Same with the on-ear Shures (SRH 550 & 750?) - I haven't tried them but the bass is a little lean so I hear. I'd say try the SRH1540 if they were a bit cheaper.

Audio Technica have some good on-ears, the SJ55 or WS55 - the A500x is worth a look too. And the ES700. Generally good detail and clear bass.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 6
As you said, the v-modas and the momentums, but you should also take a look at the HD25s. But as allways, sound is subjective, try to find somewhere to sit down and listen to all of them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back