Recommendations for <$160 USD cans please
Apr 20, 2008 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

decayed.cell

100+ Head-Fier
Last time I was on here I ended up buying a pair of JBL Reference 410s which I am very pleased with and currently use with my iPod as a portable set. Now I'm after a decent set of cans for home use
biggrin.gif

I listen to a lot of punk/alternative rock (rough guide here on my last.fm account) and also use headphones for gaming, however I listen to music a lot more so that would be a priority. So far I've come up with this list (mostly from this thread). I've put the HP M1000 because of this thread and from what I can see they seem to be a pretty good pair.

Audio Technica A700
Denon D1000
Beyerdynamic DT770
JVC Victor HP M1000

I listen to music mainly on my computer via my cap modded Chaintech AV-710 which is located in the family room (so naturally isolation is probably a good idea). I have weird ears that physically dislike IEMs/earbuds so they are not a good idea and I also wear glasses so that could be something for consideration.

I can get any of them for a decent price around 10-11k Yen + postage according to Kakaku.com (except for the DT770's) which works out pretty good here in Australia because of the conversion rate. Otherwise I could pay a bit more and get them from AudioCubes. I've put $160 as a rough price guide (excluding postage) as I'm not willing to spend any more than around $200 AUD.

Could I get some suggestions to add to this list or its there a clear choice here?

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 20
not exactly prone, more like a certainty. Again, it depends on what your use is. but for rock etc, grado are favoured, and as you are in Australia, take advantage of the free shipping. you can spend the rest on an amp or something.

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 20
AKG K271S!

They're my favorite closed headphones and I can vouch for their usability when wearing glasses.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 20
I hear the Denon D2000 are worth saving up for, but the DT770's are nice for $158 shipped. That's what I paid and I love the sound. The cups are velour but are not that soft as I would have liked, but the sound is so good in my opinion, that even though I've worn more comfortable cans, the sound is just too good. The onyl way I'd sell them, is maybe for the Denon D2000's. I'd really want to try something on and there is no way to around here unless I drive far and even then, not sure.

For example....the sound is heads and tails above the 280's I still own, but the comfort is better for me on the 280's. Although they are 4+ years old and may have just softened over the years. I certainly don't recall being able to wear them for hours upon hours at first like I can now without any discomfort at all.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 20
the MII are the same. the only difference between the 241/242/241MII are the looks, and that the MII i think have a detachable cable but the others dont.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back