Recommendations for ~150 USD Closed Headphones?
Dec 27, 2015 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shoegazer72

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for recommendations for a set of decent quality closed headphones in the ~ 150 USD price range to replace the Sennheiser HD201s that I currently use for work.  The headphones will be used at low-medium listening volumes and will be driven by my laptop's Realtek High Definition Audio sound card.  I suspect that the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 are good candidates, but I'm curious as to whether anybody has additional suggestions based on my preferences below.

- Comfort is crucial.  I'll be wearing the headphones up to a couple hours at a time.  My head is a bit more oval-shaped than some (think "0" rather than "O") and my ears are largish and protrude a bit.

- Sound isolation is not too critical.  I work in a fairly-low noise environment so I don't need outstanding sound isolation.  But a minimum the headphones should not have a problem with sound leakage.

- Sound Quality.  I'm not a basshead, but I appreciate reasonably-good extension.  A slight mid-centric bias and a slightly-warm overall balance would probably be ideal - but I could live with a neutral-to-slightly-bright balanced set of headphones if it meets the other criterion.  A set of headphones that have a tendency to reveal sibiliance would not work for me.

- I would like a sound stage that's a bit more expansive than I'd find on, say, a set of ATH-M50X headphones.

If it helps, I use a set of AKG K-240 Studios at home.  With the exception of the bass extension - these are pretty close to the sort of sound quality I would like.  But, obviously, as a set of semi-open headphones they are not suitable for my work environment.  I spent considerable time with the Shure SRH440 and SRH840 headphones.  The former were too harsh/sibilant and not particularly comfortable.  The latter were a touch too dark, balance-wise, and were extremely uncomfortable.

Thanks

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 4
I use Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm, I sit with them on at least 8 hours a day. They don't leak much, I blast them and no one around me even seems to notice.  I've seen them on sale for around $130, regular price seems to be around $200 tho.

I don't have much to compare them to, they seemed like an upgrade from my Sony MDR7506 which I really enjoyed, however not as comfy iirc.

Massive upgrade from HD201, which I believe I upgraded from as well.

Fella on YT did a nice video about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo_GcwWUzIc

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 4
maybe Beyer DT 770 pro have good comfort and isolation and best soundstage for a closed can in that price range, and a little warmth, but have sligly recessed mids. You would probably be good with a 32ohm version, even though if you could stretch your budget it would be a better option to go with the 250 ohm version+Fiio E07k imho

Dec 27, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 4
You might consider the Soundmagic HP150 ($169)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back