Recommendations: Component CD Player
Aug 9, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree, it sure measures pretty bad

But how does it sound? Isn't that what matters?

Aug 9, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can older models have a wear out date... for example the laser fading out.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I mean people are buying 10 year old Rega Planets and some of the older (20 years old or so) Marantz CD player also have a cult following. I think if it's made by a respectable company like NAD, chances are it'll last a good decade or so.

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like everyone else I shall throw in a completely different recommendation and say check out the NAD C542
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new NAD C525BEE is also $300.

I've seen the C542 go for around $250-300 on Audiogon.

Aug 10, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

But some of these are older than a decade. There is a rotel and nad cd player I am looking at that was made in the early 90s.

Well I think real progress has been taking place in the last decade both in terms of DAC chips and digital filters. I'm not convinced that really old CDPs (more than a decade old in my book) are actually competitive with modern counterparts. Not to mention that CDPs have quite a few moving parts so the wear and tear (and also drift from clocks and capacitors) will degrade the sound a bit. Of course sometimes you can find older CDPs that are extrememly well priced (or are even in mint condition), but that's sort of a gamble. If it was me I would stay with the 3~7 year time frame just to be safe.

Have you considered the cheap transport -> DAC route? With a DAC you would be able to improve the sound from your PC as well.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I think real progress has been taking place in the last decade both in terms of DAC chips and digital filters. I'm not convinced that really old CDPs (more than a decade old in my book) are actually competitive with modern counterparts. Not to mention that CDPs have quite a few moving parts so the wear and tear (and also drift from clocks and capacitors) will degrade the sound a bit. Of course sometimes you can find older CDPs that are extrememly well priced (or are even in mint condition), but that's sort of a gamble. If it was me I would stay with the 3~7 year time frame just to be safe.

Have you considered the cheap transport -> DAC route? With a DAC you would be able to improve the sound from your PC as well.

I am actually already using a DAC in my current setup- I have a beresford which i really like. It is hooked up between my iMac and home amp. I suppose I could hook a cd player into that as well. What do I need for cables/ inputs on the player. The DAC only takes optical and coaxial.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cisforchooch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about a Sony SCD CE595... you get SACD and it's a changer. And you can get it modded.

Does this player have an optical out for connection to a DAC?

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

I am actually already using a DAC in my current setup- I have a beresford which i really like. It is hooked up between my iMac and home amp. I suppose I could hook a cd player into that as well. What do I need for cables/ inputs on the player. The DAC only takes optical and coaxial.

I agree that using a CDP with your DAC may be the best option but with one possible caveat. CDPs vary a lot with respect to the quality of their digital output (jitter, impedence, etc) which means that not all DACs may match well with a particular CDP. In fact, this the main reason many people still feel that a one-box CDP may still be the best option. Some DACs, such as the Benchmark DAC1-USB are remarkably immune to these problems, so that the choice of CDP becomes much less important. I have no idea whether your Beresford belongs to this category or not - if it's like the Benchmark, then you're all set! In fact, just get a cheap DVD player for a transport - the reliability may not be great down the road, perhaps, but then you can just get another transport - far cheaper than trying to fix it! Even with older high-end CDPs that you may find on ebay or audiogon, you don't really know how much actual use they may have had, and if they break, good luck - some may have the older Philips transports which are no longer in production.

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #25 of 25
I recently bought one for $155 plus shipping - beat several new CD players in the $1000-1700 range that I auditioned. I'm very happy with it. It's a 1992 model and weighs in at over 20 pounds. My understanding is that the DAC chip is still used in some current high end models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back