Recommendations: comfy IEM's for small ears?
Feb 3, 2007 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

crazyeyeskiller

New Head-Fier
Looking for inexpensive inner ear monitors/canalphones/earbuds (whatever they might be called) for my girlfriend. Who hates earphones that go in the ear. The major problems she has is they are uncomfortable (sensitive cartilage), or they fall out. She is also afraid that those that have clips that go around the ear will rub and cause discomfort in the long run. (She's tried my street style back-of-the-ead headphones that go around the ear, and was experiencing discomfort from the headband around the ear within a very short period of time).

Are there any earbuds made that are super comfortable, sound good (close to px100 would be nice...), wont cause discomfort from parts moving and rubbing against skin or too much pressure on skin/in ear, won't fall out easily and are pretty cheap in price? Problem is, we can't try them in the stores, they wont let you for reasons of hygiene.

Feb 3, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Any reason against the PX100?
biggrin.gif
They're very nice, lightweight headphones I think. It sounds like she's tried many canals? It doesn't make sense to suggest more, as in the budget range, they all use the same '3 tip size' stylee fitting

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 7
Ultimate Ears are very comfy, but aren't exactly known for their low-profile appearance. If she has longer hair, she might not mind that they stick out just a bit. I'm not sure she'd like the over-the-ear style cables, although you could theoretically wear the UEs straight down instead of over the ears. The V-Moda Vibe is also a nice choice for comfort. I have small ears as well and they're among the most comfortable I've tried. Not super accurate like what you'd find with Shure E4 or Etys, but fun to listen to and a good value for the price, I think.

Feb 4, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 7
ER6i? They're small, comfortable with a wide variety of tips (because of the short barrel length), light and have a featherweight, flexible, non-microphonic cable. Oh, they're also pretty good-sounding
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the suggestions, but I can't use them, because like I wrote, they need to be inexpensive (ie. under $40) and they need to be IEM's. That rules out every model suggested so far!

I've done my own research and came up with some models that were said to be comfortable. Is there a consensus as to which of these is the most comfortable and which might be the best sounding, or does that really come down to personal opinion (esp. wrt comfort?).

* Audio Technica ATH-CK5
* sony ex51/ex71
* pana hje-50
* creative ep630

The ATH-CK5 looks to be the winner in terms of comfort, from what I can tell. Any similar suggestions as to cheap <$40, comfy IEM's, just throw them out there.....

Feb 4, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyeskiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestions, but I can't use them, because like I wrote, they need to be inexpensive (ie. under $40) and they need to be IEM's. That rules out every model suggested so far!

I've done my own research and came up with some models that were said to be comfortable. Is there a consensus as to which of these is the most comfortable and which might be the best sounding, or does that really come down to personal opinion (esp. wrt comfort?).

* Audio Technica ATH-CK5
* sony ex51/ex71
* pana hje-50
* creative ep630

The ATH-CK5 looks to be the winner in terms of comfort, from what I can tell. Any similar suggestions as to cheap <$40, comfy IEM's, just throw them out there.....

i've heard that the sony's don't last very long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back