Recommendations <=$80
Sep 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

WickedZen

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]     I have been using the Creative Fatality HS-800 40mm driver headset for a little over a year. I use it with my laptop that has the ALC892 Realtek onboard audio. The headset worked well for me over a year but then started having multiple problems, requiring cord repairs so I started shopping for a new headset. I primarily use my headset for pc gaming but do occasionally listen to music while gaming or studying, as well as watch movies or tv shows.  As well as decent sound quality isolation is important as I use my laptop a lot for writing and for school and I have a busy/ loud household, and I am often doing my gaming after the wife and kids are in bed so I don’t want a lot of leakage.[/size]
[size=10pt]    I looked at tons of options, including getting a pair of headphones and modding for mic and new audio cable. Nothing is really jumping out at me for the money that I have to spend. I have decided to wait a few months and look at some higher end.[/size]
[size=10pt]    So basically I am stuck with two options. First, I can just getting a new Fatality HS-800 headset for $30.00. Second I can get a similarly priced headphone that is equivalent or better for sound and isolation. Below is the list of some of the headphones I have found. I understand that some of these are open/semi-open so I cannot expect a lot of isolation and that will play a part in my final decision. I am hoping for some feedback as to what may be a standout or good for gaming and in general. Or if there are any other headphone suggestions, preferably with good isolation at the  $80 and under price range. Thank You.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]$30[/size]
[size=10pt]Panasonic RP-HTX7[/size]
[size=10pt]Superlux HD 681[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]$50[/size]
[size=10pt]Superlux HD668B[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]$60[/size]
[size=10pt]Samson SR850[/size]
[size=10pt]CAD Audio MH310 Closed-Back[/size]

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 18
   Thanks for the suggestions. As I mentioned I will be mostly using these on a laptop, will any of these need or benefit from an amp to improve the volume and sound quality?

At the moment I am taking a hard look at the Koss TBSE1 / DJ100 headphones and I am particularly interested in their performance on a laptop and if they would need an amp. thank you.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 18
   I used a Creative Fatality Headset for 14 months for gaming and vent through my on-board audio. Never had an issue except for that on the occasions I would watch movies, video files had low sound and background noise from the room around me would prevent me from hearing even with my laptop and headset volume at 100%.
    I would get better volume when using my Skull Candy Hesh that I got several years ago for my mp3 player while on campus. Unfortunately I do not have the option for an internal sound card. I have looked at other options like the Astro Mixamp, a couple of creative external sound cards, but did not see much return from trying those options. My sound card will only support 2.0 stereo through the digital out. I do have the setup to run 5.1 headsets through my 3.5mm jacks but have heard to stay away from that as well.
   So I am looking for a headphone that will exceed the sound quality of my previous headset, and then I will mod for a mic. In the perfect world it would have a detachable audio cable as every headset I have had to trash is because of issues with the jack or cord and it would be nice to make a custom cord or buy a replacement cord rather than ditching the whole headphone.
   At the moment I am leaning towards the Koss TBSE1 / DJ100. I have been at this for several weeks with a couple unhelpful visits to Radio Shack and another local store that did not have any demo's for me to try, so I am looking to order something today, tomorrow at the latest, but would welcome any "last-minute" contenders to check out for gaming at <$100.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 18
FYI the [size=10pt]Superlux HD668B, [/size][size=10pt]Samson SR850 and [/size][size=10pt]CAD Audio MH310 Closed-Back are the same headphone.

The CAD is just the closed version of it
[/size]

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 18
     I just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback and let you know that I ended up getting the TBSE1 headphones. Originally this was out of my budget range but from a tip on Head-fi found a great deal that put it well under. Thanks again!

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #12 of 18
   My initial thoughts after receiving my headphones, I will post again once I use them more.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631338/my-newbie-review-of-the-tbse1-special-edition-koss-prodj100

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 18
     I actually really liked my Creative Fatality Headset. It served me well 14 months. I could have continued the upkeep on it but I decided it was time to move on. I did actually consider the Creative Aurvana Live. I had seen a lot of good reviews of it. In Mad Lust Envy's Headphone gaming guide. Not only was it in my price range of <$80, it appeared in the Fun and All-rounders categories This made it my top choice.
      The reason I decided to go with the TBSE1 was that I do not like the double cord, and the TBSE1 cord was detachable, and of course the great deal I got on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back