Recommendation?
Aug 7, 2009 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

XtT

New Head-Fier
So I recently got in to headphones with some nice Audio-Technica AD700s and I've really been enjoying the sound quality advance over my old cheap headphones. What I'm looking for now are some nice, slightly more portable (
tongue_smile.gif
) earphones.

My budget is around ~$50-100 and I'm looking for some earphones that I can use to listen to trance mostly but maybe also some pop. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 9
Aug 7, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 9
I mean, are all those good for the type of music I listen to? I'm still new to all this :X

I've seen a couple of those threads, and I was hoping for a sort of more personal recommendation :S

Sorry >.<

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 9
Actually WOW the search function is your friend O_O

I've been using Google to search your site with the site:head-fi.org but the internal search seems to work a lot nicer
biggrin.gif

WHOOPS, sorry about the double post
frown.gif

========================
Ok, looks like my best bets are the Monster Turbine or UM1

Any help narrowing it down? Also how reliable is this site? :p
P. C. Richard & Son | Monster Turbine MH TRB IE High Performance In-Ear Speakers

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean, are all those good for the type of music I listen to? I'm still new to all this :X

I've seen a couple of those threads, and I was hoping for a sort of more personal recommendation :S

Sorry >.<

Well, you couldn't have been more generic in naming your thread. Anyway, if you're not averse to buying used, you may want to try to get your hands on some used PFEs. I don't listen to trance but I would imagine that you'd want something punchy and reasonably quick, with good detail and quick attack. In my current inventory this describes the Soundmagic PL50s, Meelec AI-M6's, and Maximo Im-590s. The Meelecs are actually the punchiest but have one of the worst cables known to man. Maximos/PL50s are more balanced and practical.

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you couldn't have been more generic in naming your thread. Anyway, if you're not averse to buying used, you may want to try to get your hands on some used PFEs. I don't listen to trance but I would imagine that you'd want something punchy and reasonably quick, with good detail and quick attack. In my current inventory this describes the Soundmagic PL50s, Meelec AI-M6's, and Maximo Im-590s. The Meelecs are actually the punchiest but have one of the worst cables known to man. Maximos/PL50s are more balanced and practical.

Haha true, Recommendation doesn't seem to be quite a good name in retrospect

The three I've gleamed from your quote are :
Monster Turbines
UM1
and the PFEs above

There isn't any issue buying used ones usually right?

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Haha true, Recommendation doesn't seem to be quite a good name in retrospect

The three I've gleamed from your quote are :
Monster Turbines
UM1
and the PFEs above

There isn't any issue buying used ones usually right?

There's a lot of PFE warranty replacements being sold brand new because one or two of the batches are notorious for cable cracking issues. The later batches are much more durable.

Quoted from the Phonak Audéo Defect Thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbrownie
Sorry the delay in responding to this thread but I do have an update.

As previously stated the batches we are currently sending out, for both new and replacement orders, are dated 2008-02-12 and 2008-11-17. We have experienced very few cracks with these batches. Not 100% defect free but so far so good.

It is important to realize there is a seam where pieces are glued together. Some returns have come back thinking the seam is a crack. Not many but a few.

As for improvements, Phonak is currently prototyping a new material as well as a few other minor improvements that will likely be ready by the end of June.

So if you currently have a set and they crack before the end of June, we will replace them with a set from the batches mentioned above. If that set has any issues, we will replace it with one made with the new materials when they are available.

If you haven't purchased, should you wait? That's entirely up to you. The phones have a 2 year warranty as I've stated before. If you order from current stock, we are committed to customer service (as some of you have experienced) and it will not cost you if something happens and they need to be replaced.

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a lot of PFE warranty replacements being sold brand new because one or two of the batches are notorious for cable cracking issues. The later batches are much more durable.

Quoted from the Phonak Audéo Defect Thread:

Any recommendations on where to buy used ones from?

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Any recommendations on where to buy used ones from?

There's really only one place I know of - the FS forums here. Last PFE I saw for sale was late last week, but you can probably post a WTB thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back