Recommendation: Widescreen CRT Television
Jun 22, 2004 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I need to buy and tv and as I almost exclusively watch widescreen dvds (not much tv, actually) I want to buy a widescreen model tv. I don't want to get a plasma tv because they're too expensive. I guess HDTV ready is almost a must these day, isn't it? I'm looking for either a 30" or 32" model, or thereabouts. Please recommend me some models to consider!

If you know of a link where they different models might be compared, please point it out to me!
icon10.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 19
I went through this about a year ago and seriously considered the Sony 34" XBR but finally purchased an 42 Mits. rear projection tv. It has an excellent picture, weighs 100 pounds ( the Sony was like 250 ) and was $1000 less then the Sony. I've been very happy with it. HDTV is amazing.

Jun 23, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoman
I went through this about a year ago and seriously considered the Sony 34" XBR but finally purchased an 42 Mits. rear projection tv. It has an excellent picture, weighs 100 pounds ( the Sony was like 250 ) and was $1000 less then the Sony. I've been very happy with it. HDTV is amazing.

The 40"er is around 300 pounds, but if you've got a bright room, you'll want the tube because it's a lot brighter. Keep in mind I haven't compared it to rear-projections in my house and know they've gotten better, but nothing beats a tube at blackness.

Jun 23, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 19
rear projections are bleh. i prefer front view. i love my sony kv-34xbr800, but i think they stopped making it. i imagine the equivalent model they make now is also good though. it's just a 16:9 34" frontview, but damn does it have a stupendous picture, especially when fed via dvi from my htpc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 19
Ditto on the Sony XBR models. They're fantastic. I"ve had an old XBR-32 for years now and it looks just as good now as when I bought it.

Jun 23, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 19
I checked out that Sony KV-34XBR910 34" widescreen at a store today. Oh, I'm dyyyyyyyyying. Man, is that beautiful! Helluva price tag, though. I don't think I can swing it.
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

chadbang said...

I don't want to get a plasma tv because they're too expensive.

The 50'' and up models are still pretty expensive, but not the 42'' and below. Check this 42'' Panny plasma out, it's slightly less than the Sony 34'' in price. This online store gets alot of compliments at AVSForums, fyi, so they're reputable.

Also, even if you don't get a plasma, I agree w/ grinch in staying away from rear projection. They just don't look that good, IMO.

Jun 23, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 19
I have a 46" Samsung HLN467 rear projection DLP TV.

SammyHLN467W_02.jpg

This was a pic right after installing it, excuse the mess.

It is brighter than my older 27" CRT.

The matte finish screen has far fewer reflections, and the image from the DLP is very very vivid. Retina searing goodness.

I can actually have more light in the room now with this TV.

CRT's still have better contrast, though, but DLP rear projection is getting better and better.

So before you dismiss rear projection, take a look for yourself at DLP based sets. DLP looks a lot better with progressive images, though, so non-progresive DVD players won't look their best, analog cable and analog TV won't look good either.

My favorite part about the Samsung DLP sets are that they have DVI and VGA inputs, so you can hook up your computer and an HDTV receiver to them with far cheaper computer cables with superior results over "videophile" component cables.

-Ed

Jun 23, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 19
Edwood, that is a nice tv. A friend of mine has the 56" version and it is awesome. I agree that DLP is getting better and better. If Texas Instruments has their way, it will be the replacement technology for the crt display.

Jun 24, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 19
i would like to agree that i have been hearing really good things about the DLP rptv's, but i haven't yet seen one myself. i'm pretty set on my current tv, but those may be worth looking into.. although they'll obviously be a lot bigger (too big for my situation, that's for sure).

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I checked out that Sony KV-34XBR910 34" widescreen at a store today. Oh, I'm dyyyyyyyyying. Man, is that beautiful! Helluva price tag, though. I don't think I can swing it.
frown.gif

Agreed on the Sony KV-34XBR910 34" widescreen, my dad bought one about a year and a half ago and he's been totally happy with it. It's an awesome CRT television and was my first choice before I got swayed into purchasing a 42" Sony plasma screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back