Recommendation: under $300, MacBook Pro source, work environment
Aug 30, 2016 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SunSparc

New Head-Fier
Several years ago I started looking for a good set of headphones I could use at work. Here were/are my requirements:

- accurate
- over ear
- closed back (so my co-workers do not complain)
- wired
- comfortable (could wear up to 8 hours/day)
- pads should not be plastic (lest they cause sweat)
- connected to computer (MacBook Pro)
- price range: under $300

I was fortunate to connect with the famous David Solomon at headphones.com (back when that site was still around). He recommend to me the BeyerDynamic DT660 headphones. I purchased a pair and have been very happy with them ever since.

Yesterday those headphones developed the common headband swivel connector break. I am heartbroken, because I have really enjoyed those headphones. Of course, the phones still work, but the headband is no longer attached on one side. I am looking into finding a replacement part or some other way to salvage them.

In the meantime, in case my DT660 headphones are indeed doomed, I am starting my search once again.

Comments on the quality of BeyerDynamic products are welcome. The DT660 pair was my first introduction to Beyer and I understand that for $120 I probably got what I paid for. I am hoping that BeyerDynamic is still a high quality brand.

Ideally I would like my next headset to work directly with the MacBook Pro, but I am certainly open to suggestions that would introduce me to the world of Amplifiers.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 6
If you want accurate sound under $300, I would recommend the NAD Viso HP50; they do come with the caveat that they make most people look weird when worn, however. The Meze 99 Classics are another option at a little bit over $300, very "fun" sounding headphones while still being reasonably accurate.

Aug 31, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 6
I'll hold my recommendations on any specific model... The only ones I have first hand experience with are the SE535, SE846, and whatever flagship came before the SE535 (I don't remember the model anymore). Those are all IEMs

I don't like to give specific recommendations unless I've actually used the product.

The only reason I mentioned Shure is because I've found them to be great value, and I'm a fan of how they tune the frequency response on their products.

Aug 31, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 6
The problem I had with the HP-50's is that the bottom of the cup would not seal for me until I pulled the headband to it's limit and then they were a inch or so above the top of my head. They did sound very good even off my iPhone but the fit just was too much. +1 on the Meze 99's very nice headphone that looks and sounds very good. The cups are small I don't have a problem but some say they are too small. They are a modular design and the Meze guys at CanJam SoCal said they are working on different cups and drivers .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back