Recommendation to upgrade my combo
Jan 20, 2023 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chadsfake

New Head-Fier
My current on the go set up is a Qudelix 5k feeding ATH MSR7 and I am not happy with the set up. I am looking for recommendations on either replacing the headphones or the Amp/DAC.

Before I purchased the Qudelix I had a Bluewave Get and found the pairing much more to my liking with just a small eq adjustment to add a little bass but it broke and after doing a lot of reading I thought the Qudelix was going to be a suitable replacement but I am not liking it with the MSR 7.

When biking or hiking I have the Qudelix feeding a pair of KZ-ZSX iem that I find I like the sound of with just a slight bass bump in the eq as well. With the MSR 7 I have to make huge adjustments to the eq and can't find anything that makes me happy, I added a screen grab below of the current eq setting that sound the best to me but it is just not great.

I have a budget of $350-$500 that I would like to change something in the combo. Should I purchase new headphones or the amp/DAC , and what would anyone recommend for either?

I listen to Spotify or FLAC files from my Samsung S20 over Bluetooth to the amp/DAC and this is for commuting and playing in the office so want to stick to closed back.

My music varies from the following

Punk -The Wonder Years , Menzingers, Polar Bear Club, Hot Mulligan, Hot Water Music
Alt Country - Jason Isbell , American Aquarium, Lucero
Ska - Dirty Heads, Mad Caddies, The Interrupters

Screenshot_20230120_161540_Qudelix.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 9
My current on the go set up is a Qudelix 5k feeding ATH MSR7 and I am not happy with the set up. I am looking for recommendations on either replacing the headphones or the Amp/DAC.

Before I purchased the Qudelix I had a Bluewave Get and found the pairing much more to my liking with just a small eq adjustment to add a little bass but it broke and after doing a lot of reading I thought the Qudelix was going to be a suitable replacement but I am not liking it with the MSR 7.

When biking or hiking I have the Qudelix feeding a pair of KZ-ZSX iem that I find I like the sound of with just a slight bass bump in the eq as well. With the MSR 7 I have to make huge adjustments to the eq and can't find anything that makes me happy, I added a screen grab below of the current eq setting that sound the best to me but it is just not great.

I have a budget of $350-$500 that I would like to change something in the combo. Should I purchase new headphones or the amp/DAC , and what would anyone recommend for either?

I listen to Spotify or FLAC files from my Samsung S20 over Bluetooth to the amp/DAC and this is for commuting and playing in the office so want to stick to closed back.

My music varies from the following

Punk -The Wonder Years , Menzingers, Polar Bear Club, Hot Mulligan, Hot Water Music
Alt Country - Jason Isbell , American Aquarium, Lucero
Ska - Dirty Heads, Mad Caddies, The Interrupters

Screenshot_20230120_161540_Qudelix.jpg

There are alot of options in that price range. I have not heard the msr7b myself but I have heard that they are pretty close to neutral.

What characteristics are you looking for in particular?

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 9
I have the original MSR 7 not the MSR 7b these are the ones from 2015 https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audio-technica/ath-msr7/

I find with the pairing of the Qudelix they are harsh and the highs are to much bass is lacking and just don't provide the enjoyment they did with the Bluewave Get. That is why I am not sure if I should be replacing the Qudelix or the headphones. I generally like sound to be warm but still detailed, a nice bass punch without being over whelming.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 9
I think the issue is the headphones. AT house sound is generally a bit bright and thin sounding to my ears. The qudelix will not affect the sound that much.

Jan 21, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Probably, the msr7 is quite an old headphone and most likely is not comparable with the newer headphones.

I haven't heard any Beyerdynamic headphones but they're known to have good bass.

You should look into used offerings as well, you can get alot more for your money.

The specs on the qudelix look pretty solid, if the msr7 sounds worse on that device, its probably because its revealing the limits of the headphone.

Jan 22, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #9 of 9
I know, apologies i was suggesting trying them first as I found it was possible to make them sound very different while holding the key advantages of the basic sound. If you are happy to go second hand then I would suggest beyerdynamic t5p gen. Austrian audio headphones could tick various boxes for you as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back