Recommendation requested for headphones to replace Oppo PM-3
Feb 24, 2019 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EricDH

500+ Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fi friends. I have the Oppo PM-3 for a couple of years now, and I use it when I travel (which happens every other week). Although I am very careful with my headphones, the pads start to wear. Not sure if I still can get original Oppo replacement pads. If I could find replacement pads from leather that would be even better. I know there is some info on the PM-3 listening impressions thread.

But if I don't find replacement pads, or if the quality of pads I find is not what I need, then there is only one solution, new headphones. Which headphones should I consider? Obviously they need to be closed back. I like to have a sound signature that is not too far from the PM-3, i.e. neutral. It would be nice if the high frequencies don't roll off as the PM-3 does, but otherwise I am really happy with the sound (and with silver replacement cable the highs are sparkling enough). In addition, they should be as foldable as the PM-3, good for traveling. And preferably not too much more expensive than the PM-3 was (USD 400), although I am willing to stretch my budget for something that is really what I want.

I hope there is something that fits the above description.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. Will look into it. Only, based on reviews I always had the impression that the NAD was a step lower than the PM-3.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks. Will look into it. Only, based on reviews I always had the impression that the NAD was a step lower than the PM-3.
It's a pretty good value, I think. Good luck. And let me correct myself--the SoundMAGIC HP151 is the new version of the 150. It has superior build quality. A great-sounding headphone all around.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 5
After some looking around, it seems like the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Closed are a good choice. Twice the price of the PM-3, true, but also planar, also very neutral. Basically what I am looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back