Recommendation. Relatively neutral, closed back headphones (up to $500) as a step up from AKG K550
May 10, 2017 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

przemja

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I need some advice or recommendations for relatively neutral closed back headphones, up to $500

some basic info:
sources: CA Dacmagic xs, Dragonfly RED, (coming up is the ODAC+O2)
will play mixed files, Aiff cd rips, some streaming or mp3
music genre: rather universal, from electronic, through Jazz to classical

current equipment: AKG K550
what I'm looking for - something more "spacious" and perhaps more breathy - but not to the point where sibilants pierce one's ears. Slightly more presence would be nice, with a more life-like sounding piano, but again, not looking for sth overly analytical. I'd describe the general sound I'm looking for as fairly neutral with a bit of warmth :) clearer and more open but still with no sibilance, all within reason of course.

I generally like the lows and mids with K550 + Dragonfly RED combo (apart from the relative lack of space), but the highs seem to be missing sth (and even though dacmagic xs is a bit more pronounced in the highs, that's not what I'm looking for as it seems less refined than Red in this respect)

For some perspective:
I've recently had a chance for a brief test of Beyerdynamic T 70 (+Dragonfly RED) and I felt there's slightly not enough bass and a bit too much sibilance for my taste. Vocals ok, but did not have enough time to dive in, Shure 1540 seemed like a step in the right direction (with Dragonfly Red), but the environment in which I tried them was loud so all I can say is that sibilance was not an issue there...

I would love to hear if you'd have any recommendations given the specified criteria. I'm not attached to any brand and not afraid to mod sth if necessary.

Thanks,
P.

May 10, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Open sounding closed backs there's not that many to choose from at that price. If you could find a pair of MR Speakers Alpha Dogs used they would be close to what your looking for.

May 10, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Open sounding closed backs there's not that many to choose from at that price. If you could find a pair of MR Speakers Alpha Dogs used they would be close to what your looking for.

I might re-evaluate the budget a bit. Beyers DT 1770 would be within what I could spend, perhaps even a bit more if the sound is what I look for.
I thought of Mr S Alpha Dogs, but they are hard to get for me at the moment (Central Europe - a few used ones in far from mint condition). But will take a look/listen if I find some good ones.

re openness - I might simply do with some slightly more refined highs than what K550s have to offer.
Perhaps more depth would be even more desirable than improving highs...

May 10, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 9
I would also urge you to stretch your budget and try to get yourself into an AEON. That would be a significant upgrade from your 550. You might check it out and see what you think. It could work for you.

May 11, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 9
I would also urge you to stretch your budget and try to get yourself into an AEON. That would be a significant upgrade from your 550. You might check it out and see what you think. It could work for you.

That's one way of dealing with this :)
Indeed worth a look, though. Judging by the reviews AEON might be a better call than the T5, as I suspect the beyers might be too bright and possibly too analytical for me.

So wait, basically, what you're saying is that, say Shure 1540 or beyer DT1770 won't be too much of a noticeable step up and are in fact not worth an upgrade vs K550?

May 11, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 9
Sorry. No, that's not what I meant. But if you want a really serious upgrade, then something like the AEON fits the bill better than something like the two you mentioned. They are upgrades, but not huge upgrades. IMO, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back