Recommendation, Please...
Oct 17, 2020 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Skycyclepilot

100+ Head-Fier
I've been trying to decide on closed back, over the ear, wired headphones. I want something with a neutral, accurate, detailed sound signature, in the $200 range, but will spend more if I have to.

So far, I've auditioned the following...

AKG K371, but I wear glasses, which breaks the seal on these, which really affects the bass.

Audio Technica ATH M50x, but these have a pronounced upper bass hump that makes the bass boomy and muddy.

Beyer Dynamic 770 Pro, they lack bass, and then there is that treble spike, although it's at the upper limit of my 58 year old hearing.

By the way, what's the difference in the sound quality between the 32, 80, and 250 ohm versions? Which is best? - I have JDS Element and Atom amps.

So, can anyone recommend other closed, over ear headphones I should try - ones without major flaws, that are truly neutral, that also review well?

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 9
I have to say that so far i've not had a single closed back that doesn't break the seal when you wear glasses. The K371 did the least sealbreaking for me because of the soft pads and they are the best out of the bunch.

Oct 17, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 9
I have to say that so far i've not had a single closed back that doesn't break the seal when you wear glasses. The K371 did the least sealbreaking for me because of the soft pads and they are the best out of the bunch.

It must vary from user to user. I auditioned them today, and had trouble getting a good seal with my glasses off. With them on, the bass really tanked.

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 9
Maybe try to find an Audio Technica ath Msr7b. Accurate and detailed, fairly neutral with a little extra special sauce in the high mids.

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 9
I am like you also looking for a new pair of (sort of) neutral sounding over ears. I also own the DT770 and have gone through about 3 pairs ATH-M50X :) I'm looking to get a set of M40X as they are more neutral and very accurate (recommend giving them a listen), but something happened last week when I listened to a pair of B&W P7 that a friend of mine had that made me question if another pair of neutral sounding headphones are what I'm really after right now. I didn't have something to compare to right there and then but the sound was maybe a bit warmer than neutral, but so pleasant and inviting like it was seducing me - and it really got me thinking that I need a set of over ear headphones just for musical pleasure and not for work (sounddesign) but that are not so expensive that I can't carry them around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back