Recommendation please : iem that doesn't sound like um3x
Feb 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

likemarlon

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on head-fi for awhile and it's a great (expensive) place.
While i enjoy the sound signature of my um3x's, i am looking to buy a second set of iems that are more 'fun' and 'colored' sounding to use when i go to the gym.
I am currently considering the RE0 and the TF10.

Any input, advice or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 11
Well the RE0 sure isn't colored, it's very flat. Maybe the Fisher Audio Eterna? It's highly rated (by Clieos at least) for its fun colored sound.

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 11
If you just want a fun and colored IEM thats cheap enough to take to the gym, PL21 i'd say is the perfect choice (agressive and smooth at the same time, will get you pumped up for working out more than a neutral IEM). In the gym you want to listen at a loudish volume to upbeat, agressive music for up to several hours straight, eterna would be a little fatiguing for that, not to mention a little expensive to pour sweat into, also the over the ear design wouldnt be too convenient. PL21 gets my vote
(From what i've read : RE0 not the most engaging kind, could be less so than UM3X, and TF10 big size and problematic fit looks like no good for gym use)

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 11
What about the Westone 3...

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 11
Sennheiser IE8, beyond a doubt. I have both currently and they are different ends of sound. IE8 is warm, lush, dark and beautiful. UM3X is clear, clean and beautiful. Good compliments to one another!

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 11
Turbine, Sony EX300, Sennheiser CX55, JVC FX70 and UE Metro-Fi 220 .....

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 11
I think Westone 3 is a very fun sounding IEM, if you can get the fit right, which is very hard to do with this IEM because of its short nozzle. IE8 is also fun, but has a bit too much bass IMO. What's your budget BTW - you never mentioned it. For a less expensive fun IEM, I also highly recommend q-jays. They have a somewhat boosted treble and very nice, punchy bass that makes them bright and musical sounding - totally the opposite of UM3X.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 11
Hi guys thanks for the quick replies!
I'd really wanna try the IE8s but my budget is only about 150-200 USD however, as always lower would be better since these will be more of a back-up pair for me.
Also i am looking for a pair that would sound good directly out of my ipod's HP out as i want to use these for an ultraportable setup.
thanks again
biggrin.gif

edit: Pianist, thanks for the suggestion but i'm having difficulty finding q-jays in australia, would Ultimate Ears 700 be similar?

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 11
Sorry about that i guess i haven't given enough information
Well the one and only thing i see lacking in the um3x is the soundstage, although i love that for acoustic sets.
So basically what i am looking for specifically would be a larger soundstage, more colorful presentation (U-shaped freq curve). As for retention of aspects i would say none necessary as i am not looking to get rid of my um3x's at all. I am open to trying out new and drastically different sound signatures as long as the value is there.

sorry if this hasn't been descriptive enough, i just found out that i suck at describing what i want in earphones
tongue.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by likemarlon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about that i guess i haven't given enough information
Well the one and only thing i see lacking in the um3x is the soundstage, although i love that for acoustic sets.
So basically what i am looking for specifically would be a larger soundstage, more colorful presentation (U-shaped freq curve). As for retention of aspects i would say none necessary as i am not looking to get rid of my um3x's at all. I am open to trying out new and drastically different sound signatures as long as the value is there.

sorry if this hasn't been descriptive enough, i just found out that i suck at describing what i want in earphones
tongue.gif

Triple Fi 10

Big soundstage, U shaped sound, cheap enough at this point if you can find a pair here or on eBay. Comfort was tolerable for me(still won't describe it as comfy though, just didn't bother me much unless I go for 2-3 hours straight without a break).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back