Recommendation on portable over-the-head heaphones
Feb 12, 2012 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

steelglam

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a recommendation on a pair of portable over-the-head headphones to use while being active (going to the gym, riding my bike, walking the dog, etc.).  In terms of form, what I have in mind is something along the lines of the Koss PortaPros or Sony MDR-110LP's, or even the Sony MDR-W08L's that go part of the way into your ear canal but don't go all the way in and don't seal like in-ear monitors. 

I'm going to let you know off-the-bat that I'm a picky son of a gun. 
biggrin.gif

A little background...I'm starting to become really tired and annoyed with in-ear monitors in terms of comfort and feel.  I've tried a half-dozen different ones, and I just don't like how they feel in my ear canals.  Earbuds and clip-ons are also out of the question...earbuds do not fit me correctly and hurt the cartilage on the outer front of my ears, and clip-ons hurt the cartilage and bone around my ears.  I also don't want a pair of full-size cans that cover my entire ears since I'll be using them while being active.

With that in mind, I am also looking for something with the following additional characteristics:

1.) Price under $40.  Since I will use them while being active, they will be susceptible to drops and bumps.  So, I don't want to spend a lot of money.

2.) Low impedance, specifically at or below 32 ohms. I will be driving them with a Sansa Clip+, and I don't want to use a headphone amp (even something as small as a Fiio is out of the question).  Anytime I hook a pair of headphones over 32 ohms to my Clip, the volume is way too low and sound is less than desirable unless I run them through an amp.  And like I said, I don't want to use an amp.

3.) Sounds decent. If possible, something that sound-wise is fairly neutral, non-fatiguing, but also has sufficient weight to it. I like to run the Clip+ flat, but on some headphones it can sound too thin and dry.  I realize that this request might be too much because there aren't probably a ton of options, given the other characteristics that I'm looking for.  But I thought I'd throw it in there anyways.

Anyhow.  Let me know if you have any thoughts about something that would fit this profile.  I appreciate any insight or suggestions.

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 26
As you have already noticed, there are not many headphones that have the characteristics that you demanded. May I suggest that you change two of those characteristics, you could change the price range to something higher because it would liberate many more superior quality options. If you put up the price the build quality will improve and you will not have to buy a new one every time you drop them and they would sound better. Also the only other choice of headphone style left is earpad or on ear, two models that heat up with use. If you use over the ear ones, it will not touch your ear and will not heat up, they are also more comfortable.
If you accept these new conditions, you will probably be much happier and more people will be able to help you.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 26
Thanks for the reply, Lazwarth.

I may be open to the idea of changing the style to what you suggest.  I guess my assumption, though, was that bigger over-the-ear cans would just make me sweat even more and soak up that sweat.  I sweat A LOT when I work out, so it's an issue for me.

I don't really want to budge on the price, though.  I can't justify dropping more money on something that I will be using in a rugged manner.  I've had too many experiences with breaking headphones due to rugged use.   

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 26
Koss has a lifetime warranty, if that helps. My son goes through KSC-75s on a regular basis and they fix/replace them everytime. The portapros sound good, there's better out there, but not in their price range.
Just keep the receipt to make things easier when you return them.

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 26
 A good low priced choice is the Koss Sportapro. It sounds like the Portapro, but is only around $20. The Koss KTXpro1 is another decent choice under $20. The Sennheiser PX100II was around $42 a few months ago, however it is now around $56. While the Sportapro and KSC75 are 60 ohms, they can be driven decently by the Clip+.

You could choose traditional earbuds(not IEMs). The Sennheiser MX580 at around $25 sounds great. The Sony MDR-E828 is quite usable considering its $8 price. The Sennheiser MX270 looks interesting at around $12.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 26
Thanks for the replies, DevilDog and JK1.

I would love to go with one of Koss models that you mention, and in fact they were the ones that first popped into my mind when I decided what I was looking for.  But the impedance is a big issue.  I've tried several different sets of 60 Ohm headphones with my Clip+ now, and each pairing had issues with volume and sound quality.  Actually, they were fine for walking the dog, when I don't have to drive them as hard.   But for being more active--especially at the gym, which is loud--they didn't cut it.  And I don't want to use an amp for this application.

How do the lower-level Koss models hold up in terms of sound quality?  I'm thinking of the KPH7, KTX8, KPH13, UR-10, or Recovery models.  The impedance of each of these is 30 Ohms.  I know they probably don't have sound quality that matches the "Pro" line, but is the sound at least decent for what they are?  At the very least non-fatiguing, not too boomy, and with some weight and fun (i.e., not too thin)?

JK1, I appreciate the other suggestions, but as I said in my first post, earbuds are out of the question.  Actually, they're probably even more out of the question than IEMs.  Whereas IEMs cause me discomfort, earbuds are actually painful on the cartilage surrounding the opening to my ear canal.  And if I pull them back so that pain is no longer an issue, they fall right out.  I don't think I have ear canals that are amenable to wearing earbuds. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #7 of 26
I can't speak for the Koss, but how about Sennheiser MM-60's? They're about $44 on Amazon right now (SMICORP is a legit seller, at least according to my friends who've used them before). I really want to say Grado iGrado's--great sound, 32 Ohm Impedance--but they're $50 and not sure about durability.

If you can find PX100's for around $40, I highly recommend them.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 26
Thanks, ravefire!  Each of those suggestions look promising.  Have you heard all three?  Regardless, out of the ones that you have heard, which do you think sounds the best and the closest to what I am looking for sound-wise: non-fatiguing, not too boomy, some weight to the sound (not too thin), and as neutral as is possible from a headphone of this price and quality?  I realize neutrality will be difficult to achieve at this price point, though, so I'm willing to relax my demand for that characteristic.  It's more important for it to sound fun and involving, with highs/mids that are easy-on-the-ears and with bass that's more punchy than boomy.

I can stretch the budget to $50 if necessary, that's fine.  So, those three you bring up are options.  I don't want to go over $50, though.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #9 of 26
Haven't heard the MM 60's but I hear they're like a cheaper PX 100 with a Mic. The iGrado's sound fine to me but I hear some people find them fatiguing (they have a bright sound signature), but on the other hand, the Sennheiser's are kinda dark - the mids are more laid back and the highs aren't very involving. I guess I'd recommend the iGrado's for your tastes over PX100's but it should be of note they're open -- other people can hear what you hear sometimes.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 26
"But for being more active--especially at the gym, which is loud--they didn't cut it. And I don't want to use an amp for this application."

Playing music loud to drown out noise is damaging to your hearing. A much better idea is to get an IEM that isolates well so you don't need to play the music loud.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
"But for being more active--especially at the gym, which is loud--they didn't cut it. And I don't want to use an amp for this application."

Playing music loud to drown out noise is damaging to your hearing. A much better idea is to get an IEM that isolates well so you don't need to play the music loud.

As I said in my initial post, I don't like the way IEMs feel in my ear canals...they make me uncomfortable.  That is the precise reason why I posted this thread...I find myself aggravated by using them these days.  Not only that, but after I use them, my ears feel like they have cotton in them for several hours.  I hate it.

And since I know playing music loud is damaging to my ears, that's why I want a pair of lower impedance over-the-head phones...when I use 60+ Ohm phones, I have to blast the music...which I don't want to do.

Seems to me that lower impedance over-the-head phones are the exact compromise that I'm looking for, given my distaste for IEMs and my desire to not destroy my hearing.  

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 26

Quote:

As I said in my initial post, I don't like the way IEMs feel in my ear canals...they make me uncomfortable.  That is the precise reason why I posted this thread...I find myself aggravated by using them these days.  Not only that, but after I use them, my ears feel like they have cotton in them for several hours.  I hate it.

And since I know playing music loud is damaging to my ears, that's why I want a pair of lower impedance over-the-head phones...when I use 60+ Ohm phones, I have to blast the music...which I don't want to do.

Seems to me that lower impedance over-the-head phones are the exact compromise that I'm looking for, given my distaste for IEMs and my desire to not destroy my hearing.  

At first I disliked IEMs, however after a while I got used to them.

Why do you think you need to blast high impedance headphones but not lower impedance  ones? Don't pay attention to what the volume knob is set at, just pay attention to how loud it actually is.

A very high impedance headphone might not play loud enough on the Clip+, however most 60 ohm headphones should give a reasonable maximum volume level.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
At first I disliked IEMs, however after a while I got used to them.

Why do you think you need to blast high impedance headphones but not lower impedance  ones? Don't pay attention to what the volume knob is set at, just pay attention to how loud it actually is.

A very high impedance headphone might not play loud enough on the Clip+, however most 60 ohm headphones should give a reasonable maximum volume level.

I don't know what else to say.  I've already said twice that I've tried a number of different 60+ ohm headphones and they don't play loudly enough on the Clip+ with good SQ.  When I use an IEM on the Clip, I hardly ever go above 1/2 to 2/3 volume.  When I use a 60+ Ohm headphone, I have to turn it all the way up and it's either:: A.) Still not loud enough on softly-recorded material, or B.) Distorted on loud material because the Clip cannot drive them properly.

I've been using IEMs for four years now, and I'm tired of them.  I hate how they feel in my ears and I hate how my ears feel when I take them out.  I'm sick of the "I'll try another brand/model...maybe those will feel better" approach.  It's been a waste of time and money.  They obviously are not for me.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 26
You could try a closed headphone then. The more compact closed headphones don't isolate as well as the larger ones though, but partial isolation is still much bettter than none. Perhaps you should try the JVC HAS160 which is only around $15, or for more bass and more detail, the JVC HAS650($34). These are 32 ohms.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 26
OK, thanks JK1.  Any idea how the JVC's you mention compare to the Grado's and Sennheiser's suggested above?

I also want to add one other thing that I just sort of realized today, something else to throw into the mix.  Before I went the IEM route about four or five years ago, I had always used open, over-the-head headphones while being active.  And I think there is something about the sound of open headphones that I like during that application.  Mainly, they sound more natural and involving, with a larger soundstage.  In addition to the general discomfort that IEMs give me, I think I also don't like the squished, congested soundstage...combined with their sealing properties, it makes everything feel claustrophobic.  And for some reason the claustrophobic/isolated feel does not mesh well when I'm bouncing up and down while jogging or riding my bike out in the breezy air.  I have a nice and more expensive pair of closed Sennheiser cans that cover my whole ear for critical listening at home...and those are great for that application, where I can focus more of my efforts on the details, and imagine the soundstage and instrument placement (imaging) better.  When I'm running and biking, though, I don't want to think about what I'm listening to as much or do as much imagining...and I think that's what sealed IEMs force you to do.  Rather, I want details to just pop out at me from a wider and more natural soundstage and to integrate with the activity.

The problem is, all of the old open, over-the-head headphones I used sounded like crap...low-end Sony models that were way too boomy and dark.

So, with that in mind, do folks have any suggestions for any open, over-the-head headphones that fit my other criteria: under $50, 32 Ohms or less impedance, non-fatiguing (highs and mids that are easy on the ears), bass that is more punchy than boomy, some weight to the sound (not too thin), fun and involving, and as neutral as is possible from a headphone of this price and quality (again, I realize the neutral characteristic might be difficult to achieve so I'm not as dedicated to it)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back