Recommendation on HD-650, AKG K701, or IEM
Jun 22, 2006 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dslknight

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the forums and new to audio in general. As far as noobies go, I'm probably one of the least educated ones out there. My only sources are my computer with an Audigy 2 zs soundcard connected to Logitech Z560 speakers, a 4G and 5G Ipods both connected to only stock earbuds, a iRiver cd player, and a Timex clock radio. It's not much, I know... I'll be working on upgrading my sources later
rolleyes.gif
I would love to enter the world of awesome sounding music and would like to have the best sound experience possible. I've currently got a headfive amp on its way to use with the ipod and now I'm looking for some good phones. After reading a lot of the posts here I think I've narrowed down my choices to either the Senn HD-650, AKG K701, or an IEM possibly the UE5c, Shure E5c, or Ety 4p. I like the idea of having good sound isolation especially for use on a plane ... but then again I don't travel often so I don't really know if it's that important to have. From what I understand, the HD-650 and the K701 both provide really awesome sound, especially if you get it balanced. Would the sound from either of these be better than say the UE5c or similar IEMs? If not then I think it would probably be better to have an IEM for general use. As far as music goes, I listen to classical, jazz, techno, pop ... pretty much anything. Thanks for all your help.

Jun 22, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Or maybe look at the upcoming e500. I placed a preorder for one with Todd. Came out to 400 shipped. More than the hd650 and k701 but it offers isolation and "click to hear" which sounds like something you would find useful.

I also own both the hd650s and k701s and the question is just whether or not you like a darker sound signature like that of the hd650. Just depends on your tastes and how you like to hear your music. Isn't the hd650 known for going well with classical music? I don't remember but I thought I heard that before.

I listen to a lot of electronic music and find the hd650s my main can mostly due to bass impact that the k701 lacks. Even though the hd650s are darker and not as bright as the k701s I still find great detail in thier presentation. Taking out the foam pads helps so much and a recable even takes it farther.

Listening to some techno now and I have to say the hd650s are much more fun than the 701s.

Jun 22, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by dslknight
Would the sound from either of these be better than say the UE5c or similar IEMs? If not then I think it would probably be better to have an IEM for general use. As far as music goes, I listen to classical, jazz, techno, pop ... pretty much anything. Thanks for all your help.

Popular topic today...and YES imo the 650 or 701 would be better since it seems that you plan to listen at home most often.

If you become addicted to this hobby like I have you'll likely end up with a nice pair of full size and IEMs. The Meier amp should be a great amp for any choice you make.

It's nice to have the choice between portabilty(IEM) and what I consider to be a better value(full size headphones).

If I compare two of my options, Beyerdynamic DT-880(full size) and Etymotic ER4P(IEM) , which cost the same @ $200 , the 880 easily wins in all categories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back