recommendation on closed HP
May 21, 2010 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

CooLy_oNE

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys..I need help buying closed back headphone...

I never have closed back headphone before..I only have sennheiser headphones, which is open back...HD 485, 595, 600....I like the sound of the sennheiser..

As the open back headphone give me airy and probably good soundstage, I want to try the closed headphone. Bass is not really that important to me..I am hoping to find some, I would say mildness,as opposite of airy but in a positive sense...in other word, fuller midrange, warmer, and mild, more impactful vocal....

for the songs, I listen to slow songs, like acoustic, classic, light-jazz, slow pop...for some reason I hate drums...
L3000.gif

my main concern is that, I want a closed back headphone that will go well with my set up, as I only want to  buy extra headphone without changing or upgrading my amp or dac...Now I have Little dot MK 3 (tube) and little dot dac...

I really want woody headphone, like the ath-w1000x or denon d7000..

please give me advice or recommendation..

thanks

May 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 7
lol, seems like you have your options pretty much set.

of the currently in production closed headphones the w1000x and the d7000 are pretty much end of the line.

might want to also check out the edition 8/9

May 21, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Based on your description of what you are looking for, I would go with the JVC DX1000. The D7000 doesn't have full mids, and is kind of airy with power bass. The W1000X has full but forward mids, and a little bit of a treble bite. The DX1000 is warm and smooth. Too much for some people, but lots of people like them a lot. They seem to me to match what you are looking for.

May 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 7
will they all be provided enough juice from my little dot mk 3? I heard that they only good to power high impedance headphone as it is OTL circuit..but I see that most of the closed back with woody is low impedance...Is beyer DT880 consider closed? how about the sound?

May 21, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 7
The closed Beyer is the DT770. It too might be a bit bright for what you are looking for, but it is a good match for your amp. You can get one used for pretty cheap so it might be a good place to start.

May 21, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 7
Those are all less good choices for an OTL tube amp, generally speaking, although you never know how the result will be until you try. Also, the DX1000 has a high enough impedance at about 70 ohms that is is less problematic than the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back