Recommendation on AKG K702 cable.
Nov 17, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 27
Any updates? Any more thoughts? I'm wondering about these things as well.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #17 of 27
I wouldn't use SPC on AKG K702, they're far too bright already. SPC is a better match for HD650 (although I don't feel it's ever a neutral option).

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #18 of 27
I appreciate your thoughts. I agree, based on what I've read, the k702 doesn't need to get brighter. However, I wouldn't want to make it dull, necessarily.

Do you have any thoughts on brand? Double Helix Cable or Moon?

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #20 of 27
K702, what a cruel mistress you are.

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #21 of 27
I just spent a long time chatting with Peter, owner of Double Helix Cables. He is a big fan of UP-OCC. In his words:

It's ultra-pure Ohno continuous cast copper. It's a method for casting copper where it uses heated molds rather than standard hard drawing. This stretches the copper into long crystals of hundreds of meters long. The heating process removes oxygen and impurities, and the length of the crystals means that there are not so many junctions in the metal. Besides making the metal stronger, the sound is simply way more detailed. When I first fooled around with OCC copper wire, I knew right away that it was special.

Peter is very helpful and very knowledgeable. His products seem to be on the low end compared to his competition, although this is a specialty market and a luxury, so it still does cost some cash.

He also explained the different Dragon cables offered by Moon:

He said the Silver Dragon is made from silver, which is a poor choice for the k702. What's more, it is not OCC. OCC silver sounds very clean, he said, but it is very spendy. However, even if the Silver Dragon was OCC, it would still probably be too bright for the k702.

The Black Dragon is a thicker cable than most, and although it is copper, it also is not OCC. I'm sure it would be an improvement over stock cables, but the OCC really lends some clarity and definition. In comparison, the Black Dragon may sound slightly dull, or lacking in detail.

The Blue Dragon is OCC copper, however, and probably very good sonically. In fact, the construction is very similar to Peter's single cable design of OCC copper (he chooses what he knows sounds good, although he can make other designs as custom work). However, Peter feels his cable is better because the braiding is more flexible and more durable. I would agree his cable is better than the Blue Dragon because it will likely sound very similar but it is somewhat cheaper.
normal_smile .gif

I think when I do decide to make the plunge for an aftermarket cable, I think it will be with his, unless I'm forced to buy a cheapo cable for budget reasons. Oh, and his cables are cryogenically treated. I don't know if I believe in the process, but a lot of higher end cables are cryo-treated, and if I don't believe it affects the sound, then it certainly doesn't hurt.
L3000.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skye, I feel like I know you from somewhere...

Hmm. You'll have to help me out. Other forums? I'm also a member at AudioAsylum and some recording forums.

Edit: Ahh, haha. I get it now. You're Peter. Spying on me...
ph34r.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #23 of 27
I've been happy with my SAA cable, but I picked it up at a good price on the FS forum. I prefer it over my previous Zu Mobius-like (made by another head-fi'er) cable.

In regards to the Moon cables, though I haven't used them w/ AKGs, I oddly find my HD600 silver dragon actually darker than my HD600 Cardas blue smurf cable. Not sure how it would translate to the 702 though.

Dec 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #24 of 27
Just received today an OCC-cable from DHC that I ordered around 31.11 - 1.12 for K702 (used at least 500 hours). I don't have experience of different cables, dont' know audiophile "snake and dragon oil" terminology and haven't purchased stellar gear (running K702's from Audio-gd Compass), nor believed that cable would made really good difference. But well, this day I have to admit that it actually does.

I can't say that one who wouldn't like K702's already at all would suddenly start to like the cans and keep them, but those who _have_ liked the sound could find the aftermarket-cable worthful to try.

Some things I've found:

1) Using the stock-cable feels like you would drive a car that has slightly dirty windshield, having always dust on the "right" place and "right" time, where as OCC-cable the windshield would appear to be clear.
It's like the sound would be recessed with stock-cable and now a bit more... opened.
2) Slightly better bass extension/impact/quality with OCC-cable, especially on records that mostly have bass and sub-bass (Lustmord, anyone?)
3) Small nuances are easier to notice.
4) Can't say that the sound would be really less bright than before, but sound "feels" to be more neutral now.
5) Better speed, control, instrument separation. Doesn't sound as "clogged" than before.
6) Better the record, better the sound. Though I do find some crappy records actually more tolerable now as well (Tympanik Audio, I'm watching you...).

Overally I'm pleased with the results I've so far noticed during few hours of use and comparison, especially since I didn't believe into more than perhaps just and just audible differences. It's also good that I didn't find deterioration on the any aspects when compared to stock-cable, either. Still, even though the price from DHC is very tolerable when compared to many other cablemakers out there, I can't recommend cable without reserve, as some people could have too high expectations and feel still disappointed.

Many thanks to Peter for making this cable.
icon14.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #25 of 27
got a cable from ebay seeler nakpro, who seems to make them. Wanted to try the 'cables make the sound different' theory vs 'insane people who waste money on things that aren't there theory', but didn't want to spend over $30 on a cable.

Seem to like it more than the stock one (either the burn in, cable or placebo effect made the highs less harsh)

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhirc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received today an OCC-cable from DHC that I ordered around 31.11 - 1.12 for K702 (used at least 500 hours). I don't have experience of different cables, dont' know audiophile "snake and dragon oil" terminology and haven't purchased stellar gear (running K702's from Audio-gd Compass), nor believed that cable would made really good difference. But well, this day I have to admit that it actually does.

I can't say that one who wouldn't like K702's already at all would suddenly start to like the cans and keep them, but those who _have_ liked the sound could find the aftermarket-cable worthful to try.

Some things I've found:

1) Using the stock-cable feels like you would drive a car that has slightly dirty windshield, having always dust on the "right" place and "right" time, where as OCC-cable the windshield would appear to be clear.
It's like the sound would be recessed with stock-cable and now a bit more... opened.
2) Slightly better bass extension/impact/quality with OCC-cable, especially on records that mostly have bass and sub-bass (Lustmord, anyone?)
3) Small nuances are easier to notice.
4) Can't say that the sound would be really less bright than before, but sound "feels" to be more neutral now.
5) Better speed, control, instrument separation. Doesn't sound as "clogged" than before.
6) Better the record, better the sound. Though I do find some crappy records actually more tolerable now as well (Tympanik Audio, I'm watching you...).

Overally I'm pleased with the results I've so far noticed during few hours of use and comparison, especially since I didn't believe into more than perhaps just and just audible differences. It's also good that I didn't find deterioration on the any aspects when compared to stock-cable, either. Still, even though the price from DHC is very tolerable when compared to many other cablemakers out there, I can't recommend cable without reserve, as some people could have too high expectations and feel still disappointed.

Many thanks to Peter for making this cable.
icon14.gif

cool. i think im gonna order a dhc too whenever i get the extra cash. anybody else with some feedback on the dhc's? thanks
dt880smile.png

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 27
I'm also looking to upgrade my stock K702 cable, and very much like the sound and appearance of the offering from DHC. I am also considering these two:

Cardas:
MUSICDIRECT - CARDAS - K702 HEADPHONE UPGRADE CABLE

Kimber GQ-24/Neutrik Nickel-Plated mini-XLR:
Headphone cable for AKG K702

I'm not a DIYer, so want to get the most bang for my buck fully assembled.

Can anyone comment on these competitive products, and why any of the three would be superior in quality to the other two? Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back