Recommendation on AKG K702 cable.
Aug 26, 2009 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

takengo2003

New Head-Fier
hi,

I recently just bought a AKG K702, currently using the stock cable, thinking of changing to a better cable, any recommendation what cable is suitable, also recommend me a good 1/4 plug and XLR to complement this setup.

many thanks in advance.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 27
For cables I found that either UP-OCC copper or SPC works best with them.

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For cables I found that either UP-OCC copper or SPC works best with them.

what is UP-OCC or SPC? only heard of OFC.

any example of this cable?

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 27
UP-OCC is made my Double Helix Cables and is pure awesome. Its comparable to solid core copper. Trust me, I made a cable out of this for a friend and he said it was way better than his Jena one as well as a SPC one I made.

SPC is silver plated copper and tends to be a little bright. I think bass sound very nice on SPC.

As for the burn in thing, I don't believe in it, but swappingcables should not hurt it at all.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

UP-OCC is made my Double Helix Cables and is pure awesome. Its comparable to solid core copper. Trust me, I made a cable out of this for a friend and he said it was way better than his Jena one as well as a SPC one I made.

SPC is silver plated copper and tends to be a little bright. I think bass sound very nice on SPC.

As for the burn in thing, I don't believe in it, but swappingcables should not hurt it at all.

how much is Double helix cable per metres in $US, how is it compare with Mogami W2893

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 27
From what I know it's supposed to be on par if not better, and it's $7.50 a meter.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

From what I know it's supposed to be on par if not better, and it's $7.50 a meter.

that is really cheap, which should i get for my k702?

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 27
Go with the Nucleotide, it's far more flexible than the Mogami/Jena. I have tried all three ans trust me it's a lot easier to work with.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tswise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted a longer cable and a shorter cable with a 1/4" jack for my K702 so I got these:
Best-Tronics Mfg., Inc.: MIC31-XX

I'm sorry I don't have any snake oil adjectives for you. It's mini star quad, which is the only cable that will work well with the mini-XLR connector and the plugs are Neutrik, so I'm happy.

so cheap only at $25 with shipment?
is it better than mogami 2893?

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Go with the Nucleotide, it's far more flexible than the Mogami/Jena. I have tried all three ans trust me it's a lot easier to work with.

this Nucleotide and the double helix which you mentioned earlier, which is better? it will be best if any of the cable can tone down the brightness of my k702.

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by takengo2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so cheap only at $25 with shipment?
is it better than mogami 2893?

I've never heard the mogami 2893 so I couldn't tell you. However the cable has all the right "specs," it is in star quad configuration like the mogami and canare, uses Neutrik connectors (objectively better than the factory cable), and you can get it in any length you want. It's pretty much as no-BS quality as you are going to get.

The price was right and I'm a happy camper. But if you really want to drop 10x as much money on something "reassuringly expensive," don't let me stop you.

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 27
Well that is the price per conductor, 3 wires for a K702 cable. You can read up about OCC copper and see how it compares to other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back