Recommendation of Upgrade From ZMF Vc
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Bowbow

New Head-Fier
Hi, I really enjoy viewing discussions from distinctive perspective in this forum. Now it's time for me to look for some advice. I want to sell my ZMF Verite Closed, and have a upgrade. Now, I think Vc is 100 out of 100, but I would like to tried more hi-end headphones.

Now, what I have in mind to upgrade is Final D8000 pro, Kennerton Rognir, Meze elite. I normally listen EDM and electronic Pop, any advice on how to make a decision on these three headphones? My expectation for this upgrade is that he soundstage can't be smaller than the vc, because I like edm, so the bass can't be weaker than the vc in terms of texture and dive, and I want to hear a more refined and gorgeous mid-high frequency, while maintaining the same strong low frequency.

If my expectation is impossible among these three planner headphones, I think I will just keep it forever or simply buy another wood version of Vc.

My amp is gs-x mini, and my future plan (Now is Questyle cma 12 master) for dac is most likely to be Chord Dave or Bricasti M1se.

Welcome to share some opinions and advice with me.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 7
.... you may come across headphones that are more high-end in price, but sonic improvement beyond VC will be elusive ....

EDIT: my reaction to the title of this thread was "you have to be kidding!"

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 7
.... you may come across headphones that are more high-end in price, but sonic improvement beyond VC will be elusive ....

EDIT: my reaction to the title of this thread was "you have to be kidding!"
Yeah, now I can't even imagine what headphone can relplace Vc as a direct upgrade. So I want to see if anyone have both Vc and those three planner headphones, and see their impression

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 7
If you are curious about planar-magnetic headphones, love the VC sound, why not look
into ZMF Caldera?

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 7
Because its price in the second hand market is still high, while you can buy other three planar-magnetic under $2500
I have at one time or the other owned a VC, Final D8K Pro, and a Rögnir (no experience with the Elite unfortunately). Of that lot, I'd go with Final D8K Pro (or non-Pro as it supposedly has even more bass) for EDM. The Rögnir has some of that 3D wraparound soundstage and sense of space of the VC BUT it has a lot more energy up top and can be a bit "crispy" in the treble (I wouldn't call it piercing but it is much more prominent than the VC). The Final has the same full sound as the VC (a bit less mid focused but it makes up for it with more sub bass than the VC). The Final is also noticeably more detailed that the ZMF w/o being fatiguing. Another alternative if you want that ZMF-esque timbre in a planar but don't want to spend for a Caldera would be a Rosson Rad-0 (also previously owned one of them too) which historically was described as a "ZMF planar if ZMF were to make a planar" before the Caldera came out. The Rosson is a heavy beast but it is warm, lush, and has good sub and mid bass.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 7
I have at one time or the other owned a VC, Final D8K Pro, and a Rögnir (no experience with the Elite unfortunately). Of that lot, I'd go with Final D8K Pro (or non-Pro as it supposedly has even more bass) for EDM. The Rögnir has some of that 3D wraparound soundstage and sense of space of the VC BUT it has a lot more energy up top and can be a bit "crispy" in the treble (I wouldn't call it piercing but it is much more prominent than the VC). The Final has the same full sound as the VC (a bit less mid focused but it makes up for it with more sub bass than the VC). The Final is also noticeably more detailed that the ZMF w/o being fatiguing. Another alternative if you want that ZMF-esque timbre in a planar but don't want to spend for a Caldera would be a Rosson Rad-0 (also previously owned one of them too) which historically was described as a "ZMF planar if ZMF were to make a planar" before the Caldera came out. The Rosson is a heavy beast but it is warm, lush, and has good sub and mid bass.
Thanks! Your advice is detail and valuable for me. I think I might make a decision between d8kp and elite

Users who are viewing this thread

Back