recommendation needed in regards to beyerdynamic 770's
Mar 27, 2007 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

legbone

100+ Head-Fier
i really like the looks of the 770 250 ohm's. but i wouldn't mind picking up a pair of 770 80 ohm's and getting them darth beyered. which would be better sonically. i really love the looks of darth beyers (especially bloodwood or whatever it is called) but how do they compare sonically? thanks in advance.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 7
from what i've read, the 80ohm are apparently a little more balanced than the 250ohm. I've listened to both, but not long enough, nor have i been able to A/B them to verify that this is the truth. but from reading, i believe the 80ohm would be slightly better sonically.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #3 of 7
I've only heard good things about darth beyers.

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 7
well, ive got the dt770 80/ohm and non-darthed... very nice phones. i cannot see what is so unbalanced with them. they certainly have heaps bass, but not too much like portapro or maybe even ksc75, but for a big headphone, they have the most i have heard. they keep up with any fast music i have played with them, but if you have many trills from drum high-hats, they are somewhat fatiguing.

for a time, before i lost my source for a couple of months, they were the phones i turned to the most often: they attenuate outside noise, have impact, detailed and bright yet smooth in the mids. they are not unrefined headphones, but the lack some intimacy of their siblings: dt880. overall, very good, by far the best closed headphone for a reasonable amount of money that i have heard

Mar 27, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 7
I've never tried the Darth Beyers, but I have a pair of DT770/80's, and they're honestly extremely good headphones. I have never found any other closed designs that really come close. If you need closed headphones, they're a top choice, IMO. If you can use open headphones, the market opens up a bit and you have a number of excellent options in roughly the same price range.

- Warren

Mar 27, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 7
hi, i dont know where you've taken from that 770 /250ohm are better sounding cans - check this forum and you will see that practically all agree that 770/80 are more balanced, one may say "better" cans; that is one of the reasons why 770/80 are the basis for Darths... if you like the look of 770/250 and because of that are ready to buy 770/250 - that's all right, it is for you you are buying cans and if you like it this way...
I had 770/80 and loved them (still do)
tongue.gif
but sort of missed some clearity in the mids and highs (i do not insist that 770s badly lack mids or highs, it is just seems to me that i miss them a little), i got myself 990 '05 and very pleased with them
eggosmile.gif
, i miss 770/80's bass but i kind of compensate it with Aphex 204 which i bought especially for this purpose - it works good for me, i got almost 770's bass...
good luck, leener
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back