Recommendation needed for first Dac/amp
May 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

qveda

100+ Head-Fier
Getting ready for my first dac/amp purchase to use primarily with headphones  in my home office.

Dac/amp budget (for now) is under $800.  
Might  start with closed headphones for my home office environment (thinking of AlphaDogs ), but may add open headphones later.   Current headphone budget is <$700, plus the cost of a lottery ticket for upgrading later :wink:

Will try to get a deal on used gear.  But based on the cost of new, thinking of :

1) Centrance HiFi M8  which has advantages of being portable should I need it, balanced output, and can handle a variety of impedances, etc.  Could keep it for a portable solution when I eventually upgrade.

2) Schitt bifrost/lyr combo which may have higher SQ, and offers hybrid tube / ss design.   I think it has enough power at all impedances . not sure, since I don't know for sure which phones I'll get.   I think I can live without portability, but would probably eventually upgrade.

Either option would be < $800. Since I haven't been able to listen to these products, I'd appreciate hearing from those who have.  Open to other recommendations within my budget.

thanks!
-Qua

May 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Audio-GD NFB-11, external DAC/Amp, $355+shipping.
(leaves more of your budget for headphones)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

May 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 7
  Audio-GD NFB-11, external DAC/Amp, $355+shipping.
(leaves more of your budget for headphones)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

I like the idea of saving money and getting 1 open, and 1 closed , or maybe just start with the Audeze LCD-XD (which I have heard) , then upgrade the DAC/amp later.
The Audio-GD does look really good on paper, amazing for the price !  Have you heard it, have you had a chance to compare it to other similarly priced products? 

May 16, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #4 of 7

I like the idea of saving money and getting 1 open, and 1 closed , or maybe just start with the Audeze LCD-XD (which I have heard) , then upgrade the DAC/amp later.
The Audio-GD does look really good on paper, amazing for the price !  Have you heard it, have you had a chance to compare it to other similarly priced products? 

I have the NFB-15.32, which is considered more "musical", where as the NFB-11 (or older NFB-11.32) should be considered more "detailed".

May 16, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi PurpleAngel,  thanks for the suggestions.  looks like some of these models (above) are now discontinued, but for a bit of a stretch in my budget, I might go for the NFB-28  .     all of the audio-gd products seem to get great reviews, so even though I haven't found many reviews of these, it would probably be a safe bet.

May 17, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 7
I don't have any Audio-GD dac/amps, but I have listened to them at a Head-Fi GTG. They are a great choice for the money. :)

May 17, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 7
  Hi PurpleAngel,  thanks for the suggestions.  looks like some of these models (above) are now discontinued, but for a bit of a stretch in my budget, I might go for the NFB-28. all of the Audio-gd products seem to get great reviews, so even though I haven't found many reviews of these, it would probably be a safe bet.

I never really see any negative feedback on Audio-GD products and rarely see their owners trying to sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back