1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Recommendation needed for dvd/cd player

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by dsavitsk, Jul 8, 2007.
  1. dsavitsk
    I sold off my old cd player (Cary 303/200) as I primarily use a squeezebox with a dac. But, I do occasionally need to spin an actual cd, and I need a dvd player. So, can anyone suggest a dvd player that will also work as a decent transport. Something I can pick up used in the $200 range is ideal. Also ideal is something that is reasonably easy to modify (clock, ps, etc.). Thoughts?

2. recstar24 Contributor
    I believe there is a portable toshiba DVD player that is supposed to be a great sounding transport. 3950 may be the model #.

3. ldj325
    I don't know about all your modding requirements but the Oppo 970HD universal player has been getting a lot of good reviews. The 970 is better fro music playback. The Oppo 981, which not quite as good for music, but is superior for video-DVD playback. the 970 goes new for about $150 and the 981 is about $220. The 970 got a very nice review in Stereophile in May or June of this year.

4. dsavitsk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I don't know about all your modding requirements but the Oppo 970HD universal player has been getting a lot of good reviews. The 970 is better fro music playback. The Oppo 981, which not quite as good for music, but is superior for video-DVD playback. the 970 goes new for about $150 and the 981 is about $220. The 970 got a very nice review in Stereophile in May or June of this year.

That looks promising. The 1080p upsampling of the 981 is a plus (and I probably should have mentioned that that would be a good thing.)

No real mod requirements, but I figure on a cheap transport, power supply and clock upgrades are typically a good thing. But, if it works well enough unmodded, then that's good too.

5. mrarroyo Contributor
    I really like the cheap Philip's DVP642. I picked mine for $52 including S&H.

6. Ooztuncer
    ^^ ditto for philips 642 for less than $200 category.

I was listening to 3 dvd/cd players for last 3 months:
    dvp642 > $50
    hd-a2 > around $250
    denon 3910 > around $500

Denon 3910 is the hands down winner (either SD dvd content or redbook performance). Actually, 3910 stand alone is a GREAT cd player - even without any mods... Perhaps you can also look into 2910 for around $300 as another option.

Even though 642 costs 0.2 times HD-A2, it sounds better - especially after marrying her with the micro dac... Good luck.