Recommendation help.
Sep 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Eudis

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've recently purchased an AKG q701 and loved it. Paired it with a Fiio e07k and loved them even more. Coming from a Superlux hd668b, the improvement was stellar except for the bass. The only issue I ran into was they leaked sound waaaay to much and they are not that portable. I then looked at the akg k545 and fell in love, partly due to its build, portability, reviews, and because people claim it sounds very similar to the q701 with more bass and better isolation.

Recently got my akg k545 and it was just plain disappointing. Sounds sounded incredibly tinny, left cup was significantly louder. Virtually no bass, much less than the q701 and significantly less than the superlux hd668b. In fact the hd668b sounds a thousand times better. The only thing the k545 had at that point was it's build quality and looks. I'm in the process of returning it and hopefully it was just a defect. As of right now I'm looking for alternatives. So for I'm liking the Beyerdynamics 770 250 OHM and the V-MODA Crossfade M-100. My price point is $250 and my musical preference is literally everything. From Electronica to classical, to rap and hiphop(praise Najubes) to country, funk, soul, literally everything, although I absolutely love classical.

Currently I own a:
AKG Q701 Lime: for home use.
Fiio e07k:Can drive up to 300 ohm
Superlux hd668b: gave them to the fiancé.
Xiaomi Pistons 2.1.

Thank you for your time!

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 8
If you are looking for portability for under 250, headphones like the Beyer Custom One Pro, ATH-M50x, M-100, and Senn. Momentum over-ear, etc. would work well for car trips.  The Senn. probably being the best of the four for your musical preference, and certainly providing better isolation than M50x and M-100 (and isolation as good as the Beyer COP).  But all four of these headphones (over-ear, sealed) are bigger than on-ear counterparts and might look a "little much" when worn in public.  If, however, you actively embrace being noticed, there is also the upcoming Senn. Urbanite XL.  The Beyer 770, however, should not be considered a portable.

Examples of some popular portable on-ears (i.e., true portables) under 250, would be Onkyo ES-FC300, V-Moda XS, and Beats Solo 2.  All three of these provide decent isolation, in fact, the Solo 2 and Onkyo provide slightly more isolation than the aforementioned Senn. Momentum over-ear.  The Onkyo and V-moda are probably the better choices given your musical preference.

Given you already own the Q701 which is a little light on bass, I think the V-Moda XS would be a nice portable complement that provides significantly more isolation than the Q701.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 8
I wonder if your AKG K545 is defective, the cable is not inserted completely, or you are getting a poor seal around your ears. The K545 is a bassier, more portable version of the K550, which some find too lean in the bass. Did you try it unamped?

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 8
@souhikyaku9 Thank you for your response. I'm currently looking through all that you suggested so bear with me and my lack of feed back. Interestingly, you recommend the v-moda xs, how do these compare to the v-moda m100. Personally, isolation is what I'm mainly looking for but it doesn't have to be perfect. Just enough to not disturb anyone or have anyone disturbs listening.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 8
I wonder if your AKG K545 is defective, the cable is not inserted completely, or you are getting a poor seal around your ears. The K545 is a bassier, more portable version of the K550, which some find too lean in the bass. Did you try it unamped?

I tried it in every way possible. It was simply terrible. No bass at all. I tried switching cables, making sure they were in properly I try with the amp on and off. Tried off my laptop and off my phone. Even my fiancé agreed that the q701 and hd668b were significantly better. It has to be a defect, since even the q701 has better bass in every aspect, which shouldn't be so.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 8
you recommend the v-moda xs, how do these compare to the v-moda m100. Personally, isolation is what I'm mainly looking for but it doesn't have to be perfect. Just enough to not disturb anyone or have anyone disturbs listening.

The XS and M-100 have the same isolation rating (the M-100 is over-ear, but is also an older design).  Both have far more isolation than the Q 701 (which was designed to have "poor" isolation) and Superlux.  If your Q701 is on one end of the spectrum, and Xiamoi on the other, then the XS falls in the dead center.  That is to say "good," but not outstanding.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 8
The XS and M-100 have the same isolation rating (the M-100 is over-ear, but is also an older design).  Both have far more isolation than the Q 701 (which was designed to have "poor" isolation) and Superlux.  If your Q701 is on one end of the spectrum, and Xiamoi on the other, then the XS falls in the dead center.  That is to say "good," but not outstanding.

I was sold on the XS but the on the ears part turned me off. I hate on ear headphones, they are too uncomfortable for me. I like the m-100 and will e getting those. Thank you very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back