Recommendation Headphone for Techno
May 25, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #16 of 25
Hi guys, i'm looking for a recommendation about a headphone to listen hard techno music. I have like 400$ to spend with it. I was thinking about ultrasone pro 2900 or something like that. Do you have any options for me? And, is this 2900 a good stuff to listen techno? Thanks a lot!!

Superlux HD660S if you don't need them to fold flat.

May 25, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #17 of 25
I will read about this k70s and think what is better for me... but i preffed a short a head of bass than neutral, think z7 will be better for me. And for amp, i will for magni or fulla from the website you send me. Asgard 2 is a little expensive for me now :frowning2:

May 25, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #19 of 25
I will read about this k70s and think what is better for me... but i preffed a short a head of bass than neutral, think z7 will be better for me. And for amp, i will for magni or fulla from the website you send me. Asgard 2 is a little expensive for me now :frowning2:

The only concern could be the pads. Mine are less than a year old and still perfect, though I keep them in an enclosed airtight box, with a dehumidifier. Some I’ve seen posted here will have the pad material flake off after a couple years. My Sony headphones from 1998 the Sony Cd-870 did that too. They still work but your left with cloth as the ear pad cover. The flagship Z1R avoids that process using lambskin.

This one fact..is just something to keep in mind. Good luck. :)

May 25, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #20 of 25
As somebody who likes to listen to techno and electronica in general I would venture to say getting any headphone tilted towards hyper detail is a recipe for disaster. I would think a headphone that matches would need to have a pretty quick transient response with good decay, be slightly warm with a decently pronounced bottom end, but avoiding the thickness and slowness that often comes with over-emphasized bottom end.

Saying that, and this goes for even a bright signature, you can simply use an EQ to tailor things. For the longest time I was a purist and felt that equalization was destructive, and poor quality and or overdone equalization can be destructive, but now I am quite happy to do some adjustments which broadens the field of headphone choice somewhat.

Keep in mind that equalization cannot solve significant issues, a bass lite headphone can be helped a little, but expecting equalization to fill the void is just unrealistic. I propose equalization where slight to modest efforts can massage a signature just that little bit. Case in hand is the Sony WH1000XM3 which I own for portable use (I like it for electronica). When I first received it I did not at all like the bass signature, far too over-cooked for me. I was close to returning it when I decided to see what I could do with the equalizer built into Onkyo HF Player which I use even over Neutron now. I did make the largest cuts I have ever made to a headphone, but once I trimmed that bloated bass down it revealed a signature that I really, really like.

So, here I will make a suggestion that depending on your budget and if it isn't a portable headphone that you are looking for might be worth considering. I rather like the Pioneer SE Monitor 5 (SEM5) in general, but it is quite well suited for electronica and techno I feel. It dips in price and went for $499 US recently enough and can be found on the second hand market at times. The SEM5 is a keeper and will be staying in my collection for sure. It is closer to neutral than it is to warm, but I plump up the bass just a little bit and I think it is a fantastic and engaging headphone and so extremely well made. Definitely not for on the move mind you.

I am also currently listening to an HD700 and I have to say that despite how maligned it is, it has it's charms and with the equalization I have been applying it actually is really very enjoyable with electronic music. It has a very nimble, responsive sound and once the low bass is moved up a few decibels and a small midrange region the same I find it sounds quite nice. The reason the HD700 may be worth considering is that it just did not take with the wider community, although some love it and some even prefer it over the HD800 (I am not one of those, I prefer the HD800). Because of this you can pick it up used for very low prices and even new I believe it remains quite reduced. If you can order it and return it with say Amazon might be worth auditioning.

I think you have received some other very good suggestions here. I owned and used both the Sony Z7 and Z1R with these genres as well and while the Z1R for me was clearly the better headphone all around, the Z7 was also quite enjoyable. I gave up on the Z7 a little soon I think, I didn't quite mesh with the bass tonality, but perhaps if I had played around with a little equalization that might have changed. Who knows.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #21 of 25
As somebody who likes to listen to techno and electronica in general I would venture to say getting any headphone tilted towards hyper detail is a recipe for disaster. I would think a headphone that matches would need to have a pretty quick transient response with good decay, be slightly warm with a decently pronounced bottom end, but avoiding the thickness and slowness that often comes with over-emphasized bottom end.

Saying that, and this goes for even a bright signature, you can simply use an EQ to tailor things. For the longest time I was a purist and felt that equalization was destructive, and poor quality and or overdone equalization can be destructive, but now I am quite happy to do some adjustments which broadens the field of headphone choice somewhat.

Keep in mind that equalization cannot solve significant issues, a bass lite headphone can be helped a little, but expecting equalization to fill the void is just unrealistic. I propose equalization where slight to modest efforts can massage a signature just that little bit. Case in hand is the Sony WH1000XM3 which I own for portable use (I like it for electronica). When I first received it I did not at all like the bass signature, far too over-cooked for me. I was close to returning it when I decided to see what I could do with the equalizer built into Onkyo HF Player which I use even over Neutron now. I did make the largest cuts I have ever made to a headphone, but once I trimmed that bloated bass down it revealed a signature that I really, really like.

So, here I will make a suggestion that depending on your budget and if it isn't a portable headphone that you are looking for might be worth considering. I rather like the Pioneer SE Monitor 5 (SEM5) in general, but it is quite well suited for electronica and techno I feel. It dips in price and went for $499 US recently enough and can be found on the second hand market at times. The SEM5 is a keeper and will be staying in my collection for sure. It is closer to neutral than it is to warm, but I plump up the bass just a little bit and I think it is a fantastic and engaging headphone and so extremely well made. Definitely not for on the move mind you.

I am also currently listening to an HD700 and I have to say that despite how maligned it is, it has it's charms and with the equalization I have been applying it actually is really very enjoyable with electronic music. It has a very nimble, responsive sound and once the low bass is moved up a few decibels and a small midrange region the same I find it sounds quite nice. The reason the HD700 may be worth considering is that it just did not take with the wider community, although some love it and some even prefer it over the HD800 (I am not one of those, I prefer the HD800). Because of this you can pick it up used for very low prices and even new I believe it remains quite reduced. If you can order it and return it with say Amazon might be worth auditioning.

I think you have received some other very good suggestions here. I owned and used both the Sony Z7 and Z1R with these genres as well and while the Z1R for me was clearly the better headphone all around, the Z7 was also quite enjoyable. I gave up on the Z7 a little soon I think, I didn't quite mesh with the bass tonality, but perhaps if I had played around with a little equalization that might have changed. Who knows.
Really thanks my bro! i will search for reviews about this headphones.. but this SEM5 i think its a too expensive.. i found like 700$ here =/. This Z1R i think will be very nice for me.. but too expensive too =/

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #22 of 25
Really thanks my bro! i will search for reviews about this headphones.. but this SEM5 i think its a too expensive.. i found like 700$ here =/. This Z1R i think will be very nice for me.. but too expensive too =/
Do you mean the HD700? I gave it a really good run last night with electronica (Bluetech, Deadmau5, Depeche Mode, Phutureprimitive, Adham Shakai,Aerospace and a few others) and with the modest EQ adjustments I made I really think the HD700 is quite well suited to the genre. It has somewhat warm, fairly well extended fast bass (although it does need a little boost after 60Hz). If you can find the SEM5 used that would be fantastic, but I get it, it isn't inexpensive, but well worth $500US easily, even $700 I think is quite fine if prohibitive for many people. It is tough as I imagine finding the SEM5 to try is hard, but if you can swing it, even just to listen, get it through Amazon, keep it pristine and return it after you have some time with it. That way you get some time with the signature and test drive it, ideally, not sure if that is even possible for you though. Good luck however you go.

May 26, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #23 of 25
This SEM5 really interessed me... but i found someone selling with a 550euros, its like 2400 here in Brazil, expensive for me now. If i found these with like 400-450 dollars i can buy it. And i dont know if it works the price (550 euros) in comparation with one Z7 with 290 dollars that i found. 290 dollars its like 900 here in brazil. What do you think bro? Moreover, if i bought these SEM5, it is 40ohms... i think i dont need a amp... need i?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #24 of 25

I don't see the Z1R in your sig, although you liked it. Did you change your opinion?

Jul 20, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #25 of 25
I don't see the Z1R in your sig, although you liked it. Did you change your opinion?
No, I owned the Z1R for quite some time and loved it, but I had to sell it for financial reasons. I would own it today without hesitation if I could afford it right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back