Recommendation: Grado Flat Pads by Vwap
May 4, 2003 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

antness

Member of the Trade: HeadAmp
Hello,

I wanted to put in a word about the Grado flat pads. These pads offered by Vwap (see mall-fi), are the yellow Senn pads that are dyed black (so they aren't ugly) and have holes cut in them for you. At the asking price, they're a couple bucks more than bowls from Grado, but well worth it. I'm using the yellow Senn pads right now, and they are a huge improvement from the standard bowl pads. I believe this tweak offers more mileage than say, a cable upgrade, and is certainly the best cheap tweak if you own Grado headphones.

May 4, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 25
Hmm.. I hadn't really bothered to pay attention before, but I'm planning on buying some Grados later this summer and will likely be interested in these pads after reading your recommendation. My thanks to you and vwap on a good pitch.

May 6, 2003 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 25
They really improve sound, especially if placed on backwards. Or get them directly from Senn.

May 6, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 25
Do not place them on backwards, they sound weird that way. They need to be placed front words with a hole in the middle that is large enough so that the whole driver is showing. A perfectly round hole is best. These of course destroy the bowl pads soundwise. But the yellow colour is just wrong.

Vwap, I have to say your's look pretty sweet. Nice round holes and black, just like they should be.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

May 6, 2003 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 25
Vwap, I'd hate to trouble you with emails and the like but do these fit the SR 325

May 6, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 25
Sounds promising, seems alot of people who tried the Senn, flat pads prefer it to the bowl pads.

May 6, 2003 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 25
I still kinda prefer putting these pads on backwards on my RS1s. With it on forward, it makes it sound a bit muffled up imo and it reduces the soundstage dramatically. I found it more of a compromise between the flats and the bowls, getting the taste of both worlds. On the SR80's however, the difference didn't seem as apparent but I still keep them on backwards. Either way, they're much better than the bowls.

May 6, 2003 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 25
Putting them on backwards covers up a bit of the driver when they are compressed against your ears. If you prefer something between bowl pads and flat pads, crush your bowl pads an you will have just that without the problems of backwards senn pads.

Well I say the flatter the better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

May 6, 2003 at 2:28 PM Post #11 of 25
I guess I prefer my pads on backwards. I take teh pads, cutout a hole in them, then use that hole I cutout to go over the driver, and the stock hole goes on my ears. I am thinking it is a good idea to cut away some of the foam to prevent covering the driver up with it, but does this really affect the sound at all? Is it a good idea to remove all the foam covering the driver, or is it alright to leave as is? If anyone has experience with trying them both let me know.

May 6, 2003 at 2:37 PM Post #12 of 25
Hole doesn't cover any of my sr-80 drivers. Does it when compressed against my ears? Well, I can't see it then, but I don't think so. Either way it sounds much better IMO. It gets the drivers a bit off the ears decreasing any "Gratoness". You can try them without any pads and get it really flat.
wink.gif

May 6, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 25
i prefer keeping the pads forward. i expand the hole that comes on the pads, and cut a hole in the front for where the driver goes.

i have two pairs of mint flat pads and using these senn pads is the closest thing to them. backwards the pads are definitely a bit different in shape and sound, forwards they are almost identical to flat pads.

vwap's pads look very well-made and i've heard a few people who have them already and really like them. vwap's a standup guy and his stuff looks great and i'd certainly buy a pair or two from him no problem.

May 6, 2003 at 4:16 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
am i the only one that likes them yellow?
confused.gif

Nope. The yellow doesn't bother me either.

May 6, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
am i the only one that likes them yellow?
confused.gif

I don't like them yellow.. but whatever floats your boat...
biggrin.gif

I can keep them yellow if anyone would like..
cool.gif

And yes, like antness said, these fit all of the Grado series. I personally have tried them on HP-1000, SR-60, SR-80, and SR-200s. I think the diameter size of the drivers are all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back