Recommendation: Fun Sounding IEM; up to $1000
Feb 5, 2017 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zixpk

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi members,

I am searching for a new IEM for a while now and figured it will certainly help getting the help of some experienced members here!

To give you some info about my search and what I own currently:

• currently own a Westone UM2 and Sennheiser IE80
  • using the Sennheiser on a daily basis and really like it (bass tuned to almost minimum as I feel it still gives a good punch)
  • Overall preferred sound signature would be more on the warm side I suppose and fun sounding (no expert on all terms being used regularly in the forum...)

Looked at a large amount of reviews over the last days but can't decide at all... More on the criteria and what I had in mind below:

• Build quality has to be very good (don't want to spend some serious money and have a broken cable connector or housing after a year)
  • Sound quality from my limited understanding should be on the warmer side which sounds fun (not using it for professional monitoring etc.). Aim is to use it as an everyday IEM for a broad range of music (think Coldplay, Tropical House, Classic)
  • Price range is very flexible and can be between $400 up to $1000. What I am really looking for is a quality product that fits my profile and where I am happy to spend some money on for the long term fun.

To throw some initial thoughts in this thread of IEMs that I had in mind (definitely not conclusive list but maybe helpful of what I looked into):

• CA Dorado
  • CA Lyra II
  • Oriveti Primacy
  • Mini Audio Oriolus
  • Noble Sage
  • AKT8iE MKII

Again the list is definitely not conclusive and I am hoping to get some help from you on recommendations what could fit the profile.

In advance many thanks for the help
Best

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 13
Recommend the Oriolus MK2. They suit your criteria. Good build quality, and quality cable (on some you can get the PW5 cable by default). Sound perfect for my taste, suit most kinds of music. Bass is not overwhelming, neither it is under. It is at the right amount, and quality. Mids and treble are clear. Have an open port/hole at the back, increasing the width of the soundstage. Well worth more than the price (1100 USD new, 800 USD used).

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 13
Many thanks Ranfan. Great recommendation after reading more specifically about it. They definitely sound like a good allrounder that hit my needs.

Still open for other recommendations to look into.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 13
An additional question that i had: will my iPhone 7 with the Cozoy Astrapi Mini that i have be sufficient to work well with the Oriolus v2 (or any other recommendation)?

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 13
I sent a pm to recommend you some warms iems. The choice are a lot even the second hand Rhapsodio Solar + the remold price is under 1000$

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 13
Fitear TG334 has louder/harder bass, than Oriolus. But i feel that Fitear vocal doesn't sound as smooth and clear as Oriolus. Maybe it is because of the open hole that Oriolus has, which makes its soundstage wider, and vocal livelier.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #8 of 13
Currently deciding between the Oriolus and the AKT8iE MKII.

Will demo the AKT this weekend which will hopefully either set it on them or throw them out of the race. Will also listen to a few others but from what I read both of the above hit quite well what I am looking for.

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Tested the AKT8iE and the se846 in the store (only around 10 minutes each). Both sounded very different to me and from the first impression I preferred the 8iE more.

There are so many good IEMs out there it is very difficult to choose... Vega and the iBasso IT03 both sound very good from reviews too....

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #10 of 13
and they can sound even better too, if you reter the jack/plug or switch to a quality cable.

recommend copper-litz for better lows, and silver-litz cable for better mids, tonality, and treble.

for jack/plug: viablue 3.5 mm mini for harder bass and smoother sound. or oyaide 3.5 mm platinum+paladium for crystal clear clarity in mids and treble. and better overall tonality.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #11 of 13
and they can sound even better too, if you reter the jack/plug or switch to a quality cable.

recommend copper-litz for better lows, and silver-litz cable for better mids, tonality, and treble.

for jack/plug: viablue 3.5 mm mini for harder bass and smoother sound. or oyaide 3.5 mm platinum+paladium for crystal clear clarity in mids and treble. and better overall tonality.

This is new to me. Do the plugs or jacks at the end of a cable affect the sound that much? I have never actually considered that possibility. Do you think the oyaide jack would make the sound warmer when compared to silver plated copper jacks?

I hope I don't sound condescending, I am actually curious.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 13
This is new to me. Do the plugs or jacks at the end of a cable affect the sound that much? I have never actually considered that possibility. Do you think the oyaide jack would make the sound warmer when compared to silver plated copper jacks?

I hope I don't sound condescending, I am actually curious.

yes depending on the quality of the cable, it could be very significant, to just quite. the material of the jack is too, since it determines how the sound will conduct through the cable. it is undermining for example to have a quality silver-litz cable but a poor conducting jack (http://cdn.head-fi.org/0/0e/900x900px-LL-0ede4472_TB20Gg7jFXXXXX4XXXXXXXXXXXX_51734919.jpeg).

i have compared two stock silver cables (see) side-by-side with the same monitor. one is with viablue (http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fb/900x900px-LL-fb22fccb_26446942-4e02-45c5-b8f4-ae1086cbe18a.jpeg) jack, and another the stock/default 3.5 mm. and i've heard the differences from both, the viablue as said increases the quantity of the lows, and the quality of the sound overall. they became slightly smoother and clearer.

afterwards, i decided to replace the cable with viablue jack, with oyaide jack. and i think the oyaide brings the best out of the monitor. the sound signature is the same, but overall sound quality improved. fulfilling the potential that the monitor has/can offer.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 13
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back