Recommendation? For work, in-ear phones with long cord, <$200
Jun 19, 2017 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AberrantWolf

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Shure SRH1540s that I've been using at the office -- we have an open office and I just can't focus unless I have music or something predictable being piped into my ear drums.

Anyway, they're really nice, but I get fatigue after wearing them for more than an hour or two at a time. I'd like to get something lighter -- probably in-ear -- instead. It doesn't have to be as good as my Shure cans. My primary two concerns are that they're "decent" (which I say knowing where I am, so better than average for most people) and that they have a long cable that can reach my headphone jack on my computer and leave me some room to move around at my desk.

My current cord length is probably about 2 meters? It works pretty well, but I definitely wouldn't want to go any shorter.

I don't really need too much noise isolation other than not annoying my coworkers, which in-ears would probably be better than what I already have. A more open feel might even help a little. But I'm sure I'm getting too specific.

Thoughts? Does anyone already use something like this?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 13
I have a pair of Bose SRH1540s that I've been using at the office
I never heard of that Bose model and looked it up... did you mean Shure SRH1540 (like this)? Very nice — Shure's top closed back headphone. Just want to mention that you haven't been hearing them at their full potential by running them directly from the computer without an external amp or dac.

There's no need to limit your choices due to cord length. You can always add an extension audio cord, or if the headphones have a detachable cord you can replace it with a longer cord.

For a recommendation, there is a vast number to choose from and it would help if you tell us more. What music do you listen to? What qualities do you value in the sound (e.g. strong bass, wide soundstage, neutral, etc)?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 13
Oh, shoot, you're right. They're Shure. It says it right there on the side, too. Anyway, I fixed the original post. Thanks.

And you're right about the amp -- I have a pocket FiiO amp that I used to take with me (it was okay, but its hardware crossfeed introduced noticeable noise and wasn't as good as the CanOpener app on my phone) and I would wear them on the way to the office, but then I got tired of carrying them around everywhere. Carrying too much is a habit I've been trying to break.

Okay, so I do appreciate strong bass and a wide soundstage. I don't like feeling like the sound is RIGHT in the middle of my head, but I don't react with fatigue as strongly as some people seem to, either. While at work, I tend to listen to heavier things -- Nordic heavy metal, dubstep -- but sometimes I turn on a playlist of pop/dance music, and I'll often listen to movie scores a la Hans Zimmer. So a rather wide variety, which I'm not sure if that helps much. But typically music with more of a "noisy" timbre and not a lot of subtle quiet spots helps me focus better.

One of my favorite moments when discovering better audio equipment was when I realized that in The Dark Knight's first track, there's about 10-15 seconds right after everything has built up that it falls silent -- or I used to think it was silent until I listened to it on good audio equipment, and I discovered that there's a really subtle drum riff played almost impossibly quiet in the back of the room. So if I'm being picky, I want to have really precise sound (I'm not sure what the proper term is) so I don't miss subtle details. My experience sadly hasn't been broad enough to know if I value a neutral sound or not.

If there are more questions I should answer, let me know. I've only just dipped my toes in enough to know I appreciate better sound, but not enough to know what I should be telling you.

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 13
I have three basshead-ish iems in that price range. The Shure has the longer cord that you're looking for but is kinda subdued in the treble range.

That said, for a basshead iem in that price range, my favorite is the Sony XB90EX...which I heard about on the Basshead IEM thread (https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/head-fi-basshead-iem-thread-lists-page-1.761433/). It should tick your boxes except for the long cord.

The Sony XB90EX - https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/...bass-headphones-japanese-import.15093/reviews
The Hisound Wooduo 2 - http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/hisoundaudio-wooduo-2/
The Shure SE215 - http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/shure-se215/

Worth a look...
However, the 1More Triple Driver is V-shaped in its sound signature and is my favorite all-rounder in the $100-200 range. It's what I take with me to work...great sound for the $$ on any genre.
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/1more-triple-driver-in-ear-headphones-review-e1001/

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 13
I don't like feeling like the sound is RIGHT in the middle of my head
Be aware that in-ears tend to have more of that effect than regular headphones.
the 1More Triple Driver is V-shaped in its sound signature and is my favorite all-rounder in the $100-200 range. It's what I take with me to work...great sound for the $$ on any genre.
Costco sells the 1More Triple Driver for $80 (not in all physical Costco locations but always available online at costco.com, and sometimes on sale for even less). It is an excellent performer and has been widely praised. It has a 4 ft cable — get an extension audio cable if you need more length.

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 13
So when you say fatigue you mean weight and not treble response ?

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #10 of 13
Just to follow up, I went to my local headphone shop and they only had the Shure ones, which was a bit disappointing. But I listened to the SE215 and they had the SE315 right next to it, and it sounded a bit cleaner/better detailed, and was still within my price range. So I picked them up and have enjoyed them so far.

Thanks for all the help pointing me in the right direction!

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #11 of 13
If your happy that's all that matters,

Jun 21, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 13
Just to follow up, I went to my local headphone shop and they only had the Shure ones, which was a bit disappointing. But I listened to the SE215 and they had the SE315 right next to it, and it sounded a bit cleaner/better detailed, and was still within my price range. So I picked them up and have enjoyed them so far.

Thanks for all the help pointing me in the right direction!

I had done the same thing, the SE215 didn't fit my tastes so I bought the SE315 instead. Hope you enjoy them more!

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 13
My current cord length is probably about 2 meters? It works pretty well, but I definitely wouldn't want to go any shorter.

For $200 you're not going to get what you need out of in-ears, because you won't even find one with a cable that is at least 2m. They're primarily made for use with a portable player in a pants pocket or something like that, and even Yao Ming doesn't measure 2m from ear to hip.

You can get an IEM but you're going to have to go with a custom cable or extension cable, and the former is going to be around the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back