Recommendation for vinyl to digital transfer/archival service
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

auee

100+ Head-Fier
I have one out of print record album (not available in any format) that I want archived to an uncompressed digital format. Since it is only one album, I want to go with the best. I am seeking recommendations for the company or individual who does the best job, such as by cleaning the vinyl really well with a record cleaning machine, and using a hi end analog playback rig and excellent software such as Pure Vinyl. Thanks for the assistance.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 7
Which album is it ?

I have a lot of LP rips, who knows maybe it is already been done by someone ?

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 7
The LP is Richie Havens Mixed Bag II. It contains, in part, his version of Dylan's Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands and Wandering Angus, the William Butler Yeats poem. I know it is out of print in all formats and pretty rare overall.

Thanks for asking.

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 7
I have this one (in mp3 320Kbps)
Richie Havens - Mixed Bag
(probably not the one you have - no Dylan's Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands and Wandering Angus )

1. High Flyin' Bird (Billy Edd Wheeler) – 3:35
2. I Can't Make It Anymore (Gordon Lightfoot) – 2:48
3. Morning, Morning (Tuli Kupferberg) – 2:17
4. Adam (Havens) – 3:34
5. Follow (Jerry Merrick) – 6:22
6. Three Day Eternity (Havens) – 2:15
7. Sandy (Jean Pierre Cousineau) – 3:12
8. Handsome Johnny (Lou Gossett, Havens) – 3:53
9. San Francisco Bay Blues (Jesse Fuller) – 2:30
10.Just Like a Woman (Bob Dylan) – 4:46
11.Eleanor Rigby (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 2:42

if you want this one, PM me.
Cheers

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm no vinyl fanatic, but a fellow named pbthal makes some excellent vinyl rips. He probably outlines his process somewhere online. Most vinyl rips I download usually have some defects here and there, but his are almost always perfect and sound amazingly clean, though I think part of that is the condition of the albums he receives.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 7
PBTHAL also has a turntable that alone is around $2,500 +
He also has a cartridge that costs somewhere between $500 and $1,000 (I forget now but I priced it once and it was in that range). He also has some sort of "ultimate" tone arm replacement after market thing that sounds very kewl but much to DIY for me. Add to all this his good expensive phono pre-amp (not the best but up there) and he has thousands invested in hardware.

His stuff does sound incredibly good though hehehe

I've done some research into this and if I had the money (which I don't) I would probably go with a Technics direct drive turntable (less fuss and mess and it is well rated) along with some after market decent cartridge (someting around $150 - $200 should be good) and a Pro-Ject or Cambridge Audio phono pre-amp (very decent without breaking the bank). For connecting to the computer I would use the E-MU 0202.

That should give pretty darn high quality conversion assuming the LP in question isn't beat up too badly.

It's not cheap but it is realistic in terms of money and HQ.

Unfortunately I haven't the money for all that *cry*

The system I just proposed would probably set you back around $1,000 or so (to save money you could try the top-of-the-line Stanton direct drive turntable which is supposed to be as good as the Technics but is a tad cheaper).

For those on an extreme budget the Audio-Technica AT-PL120 is probably the next best thing and can be bought for $300 or less (I've seen it for as little as $200). You would probably want to upgrade the cartridge with something better but otherwise, for a budget, it seems the best around. I may get one myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back