Recommendation for sound canceling headphones
Jun 16, 2013 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pnaples92

New Head-Fier
First let me introduce my self my name is Patrick from NC but I'm currently stationed in Germany. I will listen to pretty much anything but I mainly listen to country and every now and again will listen to metal, rock, and I watch a lot of movies with my current headphones which are Sennheiser HD600s amped with a Little Dot MKIII. When I can I love hunting (both gun and bow), fishing, mountain biking.

I am in the market for some sound canceling headphones as I travel between the states and Germany about 3 times a year and my current set up of HD600s do not work for planes. I also am on trains a lot and get tired of the noise some of them make and with the loud people on board them. While I do have Bose AE2s as well and they do an ok job of cutting down outside noise I want a little more. I don't really have a budget set up yet as it depends on how much I get for my HD600s and LD MKIII when I sell them. I have been looking at Bose QC15s and the Polk ultra focus 8000s but those are just the first 2 I have really looked in to and am still open to suggestions. I really want over the ear it can be wired. Another thing which im not sure if headphones are bothered by is heat but I will need a pair of headphones that can handle desert heats if/when I do get deployed. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Jun 16, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
First let me introduce my self my name is Patrick from NC but I'm currently stationed in Germany. I will listen to pretty much anything but I mainly listen to country and every now and again will listen to metal, rock, and I watch a lot of movies with my current headphones which are Sennheiser HD600s amped with a Little Dot MKIII. When I can I love hunting (both gun and bow), fishing, mountain biking.

I am in the market for some sound canceling headphones as I travel between the states and Germany about 3 times a year and my current set up of HD600s do not work for planes. I also am on trains a lot and get tired of the noise some of them make and with the loud people on board them. While I do have Bose AE2s as well and they do an ok job of cutting down outside noise I want a little more. I don't really have a budget set up yet as it depends on how much I get for my HD600s and LD MKIII when I sell them. I have been looking at Bose QC15s and the Polk ultra focus 8000s but those are just the first 2 I have really looked in to and am still open to suggestions. I really want over the ear it can be wired. Another thing which im not sure if headphones are bothered by is heat but I will need a pair of headphones that can handle desert heats if/when I do get deployed. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks

Noise canceling wise, bose is probably the most isolating. I've recently had my friend buy a MDR-1RNC. They also isolate/cancel as much noise as Bose, and has better sound quality.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 11
I think Bose probably has the best noise canceling circuitry, however I have never been enamored with the Bose sound.  I recently purchased (they should be arriving tomorrow) the Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B.  I didn't want to spend too much on a noise canceling headphone based on how often I would actually need to use them.  So based on the reviews and the fact that I really couldn't go wrong at $133, I decided to go with these headphones.  If I were to need noise cancelling headphones more frequently than I certainly would have gone with something a little higher end.

The Polk Ultrafocus 8000 at about $300 (street)  is supposed to be very good sounding headphones but may not be suitable for very noisy environments. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 11
If you think about a pair of in ear headphones I could suggest you AKG K391 NC. Sound is really good and active noise cancelling can be used without music and headphones keep functioning if you dont turn the NC on. I need to warn though sound quality is much better when you turn the NC on.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 11
I havent really thought to much about in ear as the only pairs I have had have not been comfortable for long time wear. I wear my headphones a lot so I need them to be comfortable and over the ear has been the most comfortable for me. I will look in to them though

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 11
What iems did you have? Were they perhaps earbuds? Ive found my iems to be comfortable up to a few hours, you need to let your ears breath with any headphones occasionally. With ANC headphones i have no experience.

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 11
Ok youll probably want over the ear ones then, sorry i couldnt be of any help so heres a bump. 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back