Recommendation for replacing my aging Sennheiser HD 238i headphones?
Mar 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jonfen

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Been a member here for 5 years, lurking and reading reviews here and there, but just now really getting into the 'scene' more seriously (e.g. recently bought a Topping desktop DAC/Amp combo via Massdrop, and soon planning on getting a pair of Hifiman HE400S, based on all the great reviews and the type of sound I am looking for -- thank you!!!)

But here's my current dilemma which I'd love the community's advice on:

5 years ago, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 238i (on-ear with inline remote buttons and mic). I have fallen in love with these attached to my iPhone as source, for listening to outdoors (and using the phone). I actually prefer that they are open-back since I can hear traffic etc., and I love open-back sound.

Now, unfortunately, they are starting to show their age (connection wear at the plug, of course, causing connectivity issues), and since they have long been discontinued and I can't seem to find any pair for sale anywhere.

Can anyone recommend an equivalent-or-better headphone with the same qualities (on- or over-ear, open-back, inline remote & mic, can be driven by my iPhone without an amp)? Or a place to buy another pair of 238i's at a good price?

Thanks!
J

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 6
  Hi!

Been a member here for 5 years, lurking and reading reviews here and there, but just now really getting into the 'scene' more seriously (e.g. recently bought a Topping desktop DAC/Amp combo via Massdrop, and soon planning on getting a pair of Hifiman HE400S, based on all the great reviews and the type of sound I am looking for -- thank you!!!)

5 years ago, I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 238i (on-ear with inline remote buttons and mic). I have fallen in love with these attached to my iPhone as source, for listening to outdoors (and using the phone). I actually prefer that they are open-back since I can hear traffic etc., and I love open-back sound.

Now, unfortunately, they are starting to show their age (connection wear at the plug, of course, causing connectivity issues), and since they have long been discontinued and I can't seem to find any pair for sale anywhere.

Can anyone recommend an equivalent-or-better headphone with the same qualities (on- or over-ear, open-back, inline remote & mic, can be driven by my iPhone without an amp)? Or a place to buy another pair of 238i's at a good price?

Thanks!
J

You might consider going with an IEM--the number of over-ears with inline remote and mic is precious few.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 6
 You might consider going with an IEM--the number of over-ears with inline remote and mic is precious few.

I just recently received a pair of Klipsch X6i In-Ear Headphones w/Mic from a recent Massdrop. I have never owned in-ear's before, but despite the good sound quality, I strongly dislike them because of the external sound blocking nature of the plugs, plus I can't hear my own voice through the headphones when talking on the mic, so it's very awkward only hearing your inner-skull voice. I would like to sell them ASAP (any bids?).

I also have never tried the custom molded-type of IEM's, but if they also don't monitor the sound of my voice through the mic, back into my ear, then those are also a no-go for me. Thanks for the feedback though!

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 6

I just recently received a pair of Klipsch X6i In-Ear Headphones w/Mic from a recent Massdrop. I have never owned in-ear's before, but despite the good sound quality, I strongly dislike them because of the external sound blocking nature of the plugs, plus I can't hear my own voice through the headphones when talking on the mic, so it's very awkward only hearing your inner-skull voice. I would like to sell them ASAP (any bids?).

I also have never tried the custom molded-type of IEM's, but if they also don't monitor the sound of my voice through the mic, back into my ear, then those are also a no-go for me. Thanks for the feedback though!

You might check out the Lasmex L-85. I haven't heard it personally, so I can't personally vouch for it, but I have heard some very good things about it. It is fairly reasonably priced on amazon.

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 6
  Hi!

Thanks!
J

Maybe you want to try the SHP 9500 from Philips. They are open and a good sounding HP, and altough the philips don't have the inline remote mic, you can connect any 3.5mm cable to the headphone. So if you buy the SHP 9500 with Vmoda with inline mic cable it can be the solution.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for replying, juan1894, I actually just ordered a pair of those the other day from Newegg.ca (I'm in Canada) – the were on sale for CDN$75.

But I didn't know about the Vmoda cable! I'll grab one, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back