Recommendation for portable over ears around $200?
Jan 21, 2014 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

VolumePlus

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi community!

I just joined and I'm looking for my first pair of decent headphones and I needed some recommendations.
I'll be powering them with my laptop and my phone with no amp (though I plan to pick one up along the way later)
I need the cans to be comfortable, isolate well, and have a good sound quality.

I tried the ATH-M50 (the coiled version), but the coil was too heavy and the sound quality didn't blow me away (I read that they needed some EQ and amp to bring out the quality). I also listened to the V-Moda m100, but although they looked awesome and was portable, I found the cans to have a bit of recessed mids.

I'm now considering Sennheiser momentums (the over-ears preferably, though I think I need to get the on-ears due to my budget), I liked the laid back sound and I liked the sound more on these than the m100. Also, I thought they had a pretty good sound stage for a closed back. But I'm kind of put off by the cost and the rumor that they don't isolate sound too well (at least for the on-ears).

So are there any other portable headphones I should consider? My budget is around $200, and I listen mostly to pop, hip-hop, and rock, though I do like occasional jazz and classic. (just nothing too extreme like heavy metal)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back