recommendation for pc usb headphones
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jayyyb

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask this, but hey I thought I'd try anyway...

I'm looking to get some big full size headphones to be used with a pc. The connection must be USB, as I get too much inteference through a normal jack connection at present.

I have quite large ears, and will be wearing them for quite a while, so size and comfort are a must.

I would want the headphones to be wired, I don't require a microphone, although I understand many of them come with one (it would be nice to remove it if possible).

Sennheiser do a range, but I have limited knowledge in this area, so, does anyone here have any experience with usb headphones?

If so I'd really appreciate their feedback and recommendations..

Many thanks for reading

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 13
Hi thanks for replying...

Yeah I forgot to mention that I have a budget of less than £100 (approx $150ish)

I hadn't thought about using a usb middleman thing... sounds interesting, but I wonder how it would alter the sound (if it does at all). I assume the Sennheiser ones (which are made specifically for PC gaming) have all sort of audio tweaking controls.

but to be fair I'm mostly bothered about sound quality.

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 13
well, whatever is coming through my pc I guess... but if I was pushed... then gaming..
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayyyb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
on-board sound I'm afraid.. I don't intend to get a soundcard

OK, a few options...

1. Buy the HotUSB1 for about $60 shipped. Its DAC will sound better than your onboard sound, and it will amp your headphones better than your onboard sound. Buy headphones like the AD700, HD555, D1001, or RX900 (a few examples from ~$57 to ~$100) with what's left from your budget. The HotUSB1 will provide stereo sound, not surround sound, but should work quite well for most gaming, music, etc. Buy a separate Logitec mic if needed.

2. Buy higher priced headphones than those mentioned from your budget that you think you would prefer, and plug it into your onboard sound. Buy a separate Logitec mic if needed. Optionally buy an inexpensive amp like a Fiio if money is left over from your budget.

3. Buy USB headphones for the surround sound feature.

I suggest taking the advice of Head-Fiers who offer it. The first option would be my choice.

Oct 22, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 13
Sennheiser HD-280 Pro $99 msrp (but you can get them a little cheaper online). Great closed back headphone with plenty of bass, though some would say it is a bit boomy. Then get a usb headphone adapter for around $25.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 13
External USB DACs are the way to go if you don't need/want surround.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 13
I seen the Sennishers HD555 for around 90 ir not a bit more on amazon, But I dont know how they sound. And Also there open back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back