Recommendation for over ear IEM with slightly V or U-shaped sound signature
Apr 30, 2023 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

noobnorwegian

Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking for advice on IEMs with over-ear design in the range about 300 $-1000 $ with slightly recessed mids/vocals, with some extra bass/ sub bass and great separation and sound stage.

Music I listen to: Power Metal and Melodic Death Metal
My favorite headphones of all time (full size): Denon AH-D5000. Would be nice to find something similar in an IEM.

Now I own 64 Audio U8, which are quite good, but the higher end could be slightly more forward (compared to mids), to make lead gutars and other instruments more forward in the mix. What I really like about 64 Audio is the bass ventilation system. It removes the fatigue on the eardrums from bass. It would be a pro if the IEMs you recommend have ventilation ports.

I recently tried the U12T (bought, but will sell them again). The drawback on these IEMs is that the vocals are a bit in your face, and makes it harder to listen to the whole music. I would also like more bass presence and a bit warmer sound on the vocals. The upper part of the vocals sound a bit hard. In a way I feel like all instruments and vocals are presented the whole time, all at once. It would be great if I was going to mix music.

A long time ago I owned Westone W60 (and 4R). Although the lacked bass presence and were a bit shy on the high frequencies, I really liked how they presented the music. It was not harsh, a bit warm and different instruments had a very good layering/space between them. When I listened to Symphonic Power Metal, violin, flute or piano would just pop out and still be separated from vocals and guitar/drums. Maybe I would still use them if they didn't break (poor built quality).

The IEMs I tried that I did not like that much were Earsonics Velvet. Based on reviews these should have be a good match, but they had a bit harsh upper mid range (upper frequency in vocals) in the less bass heavy mode. On the more bass heavy mode, the vocals were nice, but then the bass was a bit to much. The fit in my ear was also not so great. I also owned the Dorado 2020 for a week or two, but decided to keep the U8. I should have taken notes on what I did not like about them, as I cant recall what they sounded like, but they led me away from hybrid (and to the U12T mentioned above). They were also heavy, I felt like they would fall out, and cold to put in the ear/to wear in the Norwegian winter.

Sorry for the messy post, but I am eagerly awaiting some recommendations.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 4
I don’t have firsthand experience with these - I have read online that the Symphonium Meteor does have a bit of a V.

May 1, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi, I am looking for advice on IEMs with over-ear design in the range about 300 $-1000 $ with slightly recessed mids/vocals, with some extra bass/ sub bass and great separation and sound stage.

Music I listen to: Power Metal and Melodic Death Metal
My favorite headphones of all time (full size): Denon AH-D5000. Would be nice to find something similar in an IEM.

Now I own 64 Audio U8, which are quite good, but the higher end could be slightly more forward (compared to mids), to make lead gutars and other instruments more forward in the mix. What I really like about 64 Audio is the bass ventilation system. It removes the fatigue on the eardrums from bass. It would be a pro if the IEMs you recommend have ventilation ports.

I recently tried the U12T (bought, but will sell them again). The drawback on these IEMs is that the vocals are a bit in your face, and makes it harder to listen to the whole music. I would also like more bass presence and a bit warmer sound on the vocals. The upper part of the vocals sound a bit hard. In a way I feel like all instruments and vocals are presented the whole time, all at once. It would be great if I was going to mix music.

A long time ago I owned Westone W60 (and 4R). Although the lacked bass presence and were a bit shy on the high frequencies, I really liked how they presented the music. It was not harsh, a bit warm and different instruments had a very good layering/space between them. When I listened to Symphonic Power Metal, violin, flute or piano would just pop out and still be separated from vocals and guitar/drums. Maybe I would still use them if they didn't break (poor built quality).

The IEMs I tried that I did not like that much were Earsonics Velvet. Based on reviews these should have be a good match, but they had a bit harsh upper mid range (upper frequency in vocals) in the less bass heavy mode. On the more bass heavy mode, the vocals were nice, but then the bass was a bit to much. The fit in my ear was also not so great. I also owned the Dorado 2020 for a week or two, but decided to keep the U8. I should have taken notes on what I did not like about them, as I cant recall what they sounded like, but they led me away from hybrid (and to the U12T mentioned above). They were also heavy, I felt like they would fall out, and cold to put in the ear/to wear in the Norwegian winter.

Sorry for the messy post, but I am eagerly awaiting some recommendations.

Check out the IKKO OH10, Sony XBA-N3, JVC HA-FW1800, Sony IER-Z1R.

These are all V-shaped, with good stage and separation, from lowest to highest price. Do audition them, as the Z1R, FW1800 and OH10 all may have issues with folks with smaller ears, but all these are kind of the better V-shaped pairs I have owned/auditioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back