Recommendation For Outdoor Over-Ear Headphones
May 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Zacky

New Head-Fier
Hi guys! I've decided to sign up and post a thread after failing to decide what headphone to buy. =/

For the past few yrs I've been using soundMagic E10 IEM. I decided to purchase a good closed can headphone next month.
I intend to use the headphones most of the time with my HTC One outdoors.

I'm into several genres but mostly pop, classical, and rock.
My budget is <250 but I'm willing to fork out slightly more if is worth it.

So far what have caught my attention are the following,
- soundMagic HP100
- ATH-M50x
- Shure SRH440

I'm not a basshead so I prefer clarity over bass.
Portability is not really an issue as I will be hanging it on my neck most of the time.
I also interested in other brands such as Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic
as they are mentioned quite alot online but I'm not sure which are good.
Lastly like ask is detachable cable a must-have if I'm going stick to a headphone for several years?

Any recommendations are welcomed!
Appreciate it! =)

May 11, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 4
AKG K550 is another to add to your list. The K550 and HP100 are easily better headphones in terms of sound quality from the SRH440. AKG K545 are another you might look into.

ATH-A900X would be a great headphone for you to try that is comparable to the K550 and HP100. Although not very portable because of the wing system (I would be worried about damaging them if stuffed into a backpack or bag).

If ATH-M50X are like the M50 (I own these), they will have some bass emphasis. But, and it's been a while since I heard the E10s, it doesn't seem like they have substantially more bass emphasis than the E10s. However, the M50s have kind of a narrow soundstage. Hopefully the M50x have improved upon that. Not bad for the price, but worth stepping up to the K550/HP100 for better soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back