Recommendation for open back headphones please
Dec 17, 2014 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Rozenberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Good day gents,
Ever since I came to this forum, I have spent way too much these past months.
But every penny worth it because the recommendation here is accurate for me, and when I thought I wasn't gonna spend money again after my last purchase, I was wrong.

So, what's the thing?
We know Christmas is coming right around the corner. Christmas means presents.
THAT IS RIGHT. My good, handsome lil' brother bought an Aune T1 for me!
Because of that, I was thinking..... "Hmm maybe a good open back cans for home use isn't really that bad. Just this once, only once. It's almost new year after all"

While I have been in this forum only for a short while, I have spent more than my post counts during my stay here and it's not gonna stop now.
In short : I need a good, comfortable open back headphones.

My current headphones are the KRK KNS 8400 (modded) and the GR07 connected to X3+Cayin C5.
Therefore, I'd like an open cans with neutral sound, forward vocal (yes I really love vocal), (really) detailed, and more treble. I don't like too much bass, but maybe a decent amount of it suffices. If possible, a good soundstage as well. 

I'll be using it at home through my PC and Aune T1. Budget is 200€, or could be more if I wait longer for better option.
I listen to mainly pop, jazz and classical or sometimes rap and progressive rock. As long vocal is good.

One thing I'll avoid is the HD598. My friend has it and I've tried it several times, that's why I want something different.
Comfort is top notch though.

There are some cans that I am considering without much research :
- Sennheiser HD600
- Beyerdynamic DT880
- AKG K702
- AKG K7xx (if possible)

I can't think of much choice since I'm new in this.
Or is there really not much options on these kind of cans in 200€ range?
I really can't imagine how the Beyer and AKG sound like since I have never had/tried any of them. The same goes for the Grados. 

My head is currently confused, which is why I thought it'll be better to ask around again.
So, thanks for everyone who's willing to read this. I'm waiting for your answers!

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 10

Therefore, I'd like an open cans with neutral sound, forward vocal (yes I really love vocal), (really) detailed, and more treble. I don't like too much bass, but maybe a decent amount of it suffices. If possible, a good soundstage as well. 

You've just described an AKG Q701.  
smile.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 10

smile.gif

Did I?

Yup, sure did!  Although, under certain circumstances, some of the above might fit a Beyerdynamic DT880 as well.

smile.gif

I read about it as soon you mentioned it. They really don't look bad at all. Considering it
Plus, bass mod is also available for it.
Am I destined to have headphones with bass mod....?

You might like the bass as is, especially when amped.  It's a fast, analytical bass.  But it's nice to know that you can mod it if you wish.  
smile.gif

oh btw, will the Q benefit greatly from amp?

Yes, very much so.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 10
You might like the bass as is, especially when amped.  It's a fast, analytical bass.  But it's nice to know that you can mod it if you wish.  :smile:

Yes, very much so.

I compared the graph with the Beyer's. The Q does look better to me.
Leaning toward the AKG now

The K7xx, I hear, is a supposed close relative of the K702 Annie, which means they have noticeably more bass than the rest of the line. This could be worth considering if you want a tad more bass than what the Q already offers. 

I was actually going for it but too late. Didn't have my money ready back then.
I've never heard the AKG so can't really imagine how much the bass is.
But the Q's bass could be increased anyway.

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 10
The K702 Annie is good, but I'm pretty sure that will be more than 200 Euro.  
smile.gif

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 10
Curious as to what you chose. 

I am using SE535LTD as my IEM / isolation and travel...looking for a open back for home use so I can hear my wife lol.

Here's what I gonna choose depending on various situations;
If I find a HD600 at a local store before the end of the year, I might get em first.

If my fellow head-fi member at anime thread gets his K7xx and doesn't like it, he'll sell it to me so that's second.

If all options above fail, then I'll get the Q701.

But to be honest, I'm more into K7xx. Ofc if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back