Recommendation for office head phones under £150/$250
Jan 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lvukol

New Head-Fier
After some good advice from here some time ago I started out with a tiny budget and brought my first pair of what I thought was reasonable headphones.  I've been enjoying a pair of Sennheiser HD205 for about a year now and have used them enough that "her indoors" has let me look for an upgrade!

I love the style of the Grado's and would love some 80e's or even some 125e's but a lot of the time I'm using them in an office next to a co-worker, and don't want to force him to have to listen along with me all the time!  

Firstly are the Grado's really that leaky that I'll piss him off?

And if they are I assume then I'll be looking at closed back headphones?  Does anyone have any good suggestion.. I'd prefer great sound over looks but maybe there's a compromise...

Thanks guys

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 14
  After some good advice from here some time ago I started out with a tiny budget and brought my first pair of what I thought was reasonable headphones.  I've been enjoying a pair of Sennheiser HD205 for about a year now and have used them enough that "her indoors" has let me look for an upgrade!

I love the style of the Grado's and would love some 80e's or even some 125e's but a lot of the time I'm using them in an office next to a co-worker, and don't want to force him to have to listen along with me all the time!  

Firstly are the Grado's really that leaky that I'll piss him off?

And if they are I assume then I'll be looking at closed back headphones?  Does anyone have any good suggestion.. I'd prefer great sound over looks but maybe there's a compromise...

Thanks guys

Yes, Grados are that leaky, I'm afraid. The leakiest headphone I've ever used
biggrin.gif

I think you'll almost certainly want to use closed headphones if you are sitting close to someone else.

Have a look at the Creative Aurvana Live! (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate) £51 on amazon UK very comfortable and punch way way above their price.

Otherwise, the Beyer DT770 or DT250 are good options under £150.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 14
Grados are leaky but another consideration is also the volume that you listen to. I found that if you dont listen at excessive volumes, it isn't THAT bad. My partner could barely hear my music when i was seating about 1m away from her.

Have you looked at the Marshall series? Both Marshall and grados have this old school industrial look. They will satisfy the need for a closed back.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks guys, sounds like some good options!

Again I'm loving the Marshall styling but think I'm currently being drawn to the beyer dt770. After a bit of quick research they seem a little higher regarded than the marshall mayors (I appreciate that they are in different price groups), and look a damn sight better than the Aurvana or the DT250 in my opinion...

Let me know if I'm wrong or if anyone has any other suggestions!

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 14
AKG K550: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-K550-High-Performance-Closed-Back-Headphones-Black/dp/B005CNR7B0/
Amazon UK also has the K551 for that price. Same headphone, but with phone controls.

The K550 will also be easier to drive than the DT770s.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 14
Are the beyer dt770 best with an amp then? What's the durability of the AKG, they look a little fragile to me.. Again a style over substance dilemma, the Internet seems to rate the AKG over the beyers I think but the beyers do look the great!

Would getting a small amp be a good idea for the AKG's as well?

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 14
K550 is closer to a neutral response headphone (although not quite neutral). DTT770 has a bit of v-shape--emphasis on bass and treble.

K550 is 32 ohm and can be driven pretty well by most portable devices. DT770 comes in a variety of impedances, some easier to drive then others. Some more expensive than others.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Any thoughts about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x or Sennheiser Momentum (i think only the on ears are in my budget).

Richer SOunds sells the AKG 550's so going to see if I can try some tomorrow!  I take it the next worthwhile investment is a portable amp?

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 14
  Any thoughts about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x or Sennheiser Momentum (i think only the on ears are in my budget).

Richer SOunds sells the AKG 550's so going to see if I can try some tomorrow!  I take it the next worthwhile investment is a portable amp?

I've tried the Momentum on-ears and felt the sound didn't match up to the price, tbh. The £25 PX100-II sound better to me. The Momentum over-ears sound great on the other hand, and are coming down in price a lot as Sennheiser are about to release its successor. However, unless you have small ears, they may not fit, as the earcups are pretty cramped.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 14
K550 typically don't need an amp. They are easy to power.

With the K550, be sure to take a few minutes to find a good fit. They are a bit finicky on placement (e.g., I like the headband further forward than on most headphones I have).

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 14
Tried the AGK's in the shop and loved them so I brought them!

Got them home and they feel like there always just about to fall off.. I miss that clamping force of my Sennheissers (and I never thought I'd say that, they used to give me migraines)..

I'm working on bending the band as so many people advise but it's not quite there yet.  But when I have got a good seal WOW! These truly are amazing sounding headphones

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 14
Yep. They are excellent. Congrats :)

One thing that can help is to stuff the inside of the pads a bit to give it a better fit. But they definitely aren't a headphone that are good for moving around with. Just not enough clamping pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back