Recommendation for new headphones
Jan 26, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #31 of 39
Maybe the Edifier E10BT. I'm just using the Pebble on my laptop work desk since I don't really expect close to absolute fullrange there.

Thank you for mentioning Edifier. Now I'm trying to choose between S350DB and S730. I want to spend up to $500 for a good set of desktop speakers, and I don't want them to be too large (which pretty much rules out a quality 2.0 system, from what I can see). I really like S730 model, because of the claimed 20Hz bass, but I've seen comments on various forums saying its bass is actually no better than smaller subs, such as the one in Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX. I'm curious of what you think. Honestly I'm mad at Apple that Homepods can't be connected to a windows PC. They sound (and look) great on my desk.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #32 of 39
Thank you for mentioning Edifier. Now I'm trying to choose between S350DB and S730. I want to spend up to $500 for a good set of desktop speakers, and I don't want them to be too large (which pretty much rules out a quality 2.0 system, from what I can see).

If the mains have to be compact where are you putting the sub?

I could go with either of those but just remember that putting them too far not between the mains or have too many things between them can boost the bass but it will still sound loose. It usually doesn't, but there acoustic situations that are difficult to guess.

I really like S730 model, because of the claimed 20Hz bass, but I've seen comments on various forums saying its bass is actually no better than smaller subs, such as the one in Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX. I'm curious of what you think.

Speaker response when stated as "xxhz to xx,xxxhz" it doesn't show the graph as potentially taking a nose dive. It still reproduces the very low or very high frequencies at either end, but that could be 10dB softer than 1000hz if not worse.

Personally I'd go with whichever is known to have tighter bass. It's easier to squeeze a little bit more just below where it starts to nosedive by boosting that freq with EQ, but if a sub is really loose with the bass notes, cutting it with EQ or plugging the port usually has no effect other than to make the sound softer but not tighter.

I can't be any more specific than that and you just need to troll through online reviews since I don't explore 2.1 speakers other than the one for casual listening on my desktop, since I've had others and in any space where I have to put the sub farther out the sound just gets messed up.

I'm curious of what you think. Honestly I'm mad at Apple that Homepods can't be connected to a windows PC. They sound (and look) great on my desk.

Honestly if looks and compactness are that important I'd just get a Mac.

The only way Windows has an advantage on compact and stylish is if you're willing to go for something a bit larger and using standard swappable parts that aren't space efficient because you're shooting for a cooling system that will let that Intel CPU and NVidia GPU sustain 5.2ghz and 2000mhz on a gaming load for hours or some kind of photo/video editing app that uses either cores+threads or core clocks.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #33 of 39
If the mains have to be compact where are you putting the sub?

Well, here's my desk (ignore the cabling mess, still figuring it out):

IMG-3824.jpg

If I didn't have two monitors, I would just buy some decent 2.0 speakers, but in this case I have to put them either below or above the monitors. Edifier S730 mains actually fit below the monitors exactly (they are 8" tall), so this option is attractive, but the sub is really big and heavy! Again, I'm OK with big and heavy as long as it gets me to those ultra low frequencies, but if it's not better than S350DB than I guess I should just get that. The problem is - I can't return them, and no shop in Santa Barbara has them to listen to, so I just have to make a good final decision: 10" at 60lb 20Hz (claimed) vs 8" at 40lb 40Hz (claimed) - no idea which one has "tighter" bass. Reviews for both are good. I've never had a 2.1 system so I don't even know what to expect.

Honestly if looks and compactness are that important I'd just get a Mac.

Well, right now I'm using a Windows laptop (LG Gram 17 - the one sitting on top of the Razer external GPU enclosure in the picture). I guess I can switch to a Macbook, but I'm used to Windows, and MacOS feels too much like walled garden. What do you use?

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #34 of 39
Well, here's my desk (ignore the cabling mess, still figuring it out):

If I didn't have two monitors, I would just buy some decent 2.0 speakers, but in this case I have to put them either below or above the monitors. Edifier S730 mains actually fit below the monitors exactly (they are 8" tall), so this option is attractive, but the sub is really big and heavy! Again, I'm OK with big and heavy as long as it gets me to those ultra low frequencies, but if it's not better than S350DB than I guess I should just get that.

Make sure you have somewhere to put that sub.

As it is it won't be on the desk itself, so be prepared for the possibility that it might not sound right as the table and wall together might have a negative effect on how the output from the sub and mains sync up. Worst case scenario, the slam is weak and boosting the gain on the sub only makes for a mudslide because the upper range of the bass hit doesn't get to your ears as the reinforcing low freqs coming out of the sub. Or you can easily localize the bass as opposed to blending along with the rest.

The problem is - I can't return them, and no shop in Santa Barbara has them to listen to...

Well here's the huge problem.

Just accept that either way it might not work right. There are a lot more variables at play with speakers (and even more the more drivers you add) than with headphones.

...so I just have to make a good final decision: 10" at 60lb 20Hz (claimed) vs 8" at 40lb 40Hz (claimed) - no idea which one has "tighter" bass. Reviews for both are good. I've never had a 2.1 system so I don't even know what to expect.

Without a direct comparison you look at reviews in detail. If one has a review that says the bass is really loose then don't get that one.

Again though: variables. Even reviewers' rooms are not the same as your room and they might have them up where the mains are.

Well, right now I'm using a Windows laptop (LG Gram 17 - the one sitting on top of the Razer external GPU enclosure in the picture). I guess I can switch to a Macbook, but I'm used to Windows, and MacOS feels too much like walled garden.

It is, that's why I don't use it, but I don't care much for Apple exclusive products either apart from a unique motherboard that puts the CPU cooler right up against one intake fan and reverse graphics cards with two PCI-E sockets instead of one PCI-E socket and an additional 8+8 PCIE power cable.

What do you use?

Windows and Android.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #35 of 39
As always, @ProtegeManiac, I agree with you...

@michaelklachko,

The only things I will add is if you're not opposed to the idea is get some affordable stands for the speakers, I suggest looking into Dalfred stools from Ikea if the dual monitor doesn't allow for a good fit.
Though perhaps mounting the monitors separately might work better instead of a dual stand.
Personally, I rather have more monitors than space for speakers on a table but that's just me, I have 3 monitors, all except one is mounted as that one monitor has no Vesa mounts which is mildly annoying, I also have 2 8 inch speakers on the desk which while 2 monitors partially block, doesn't really affect sound but then I also have 2 other speakers at different positions in use so overall, it doesn't bother me...much...don't worry too much about you PC monitors blocking sound waves.
As a final note, as @ProtegeManiac also mentioned, the sub bass response will largely depend on your room & how you setup said sub as placement does matter to a degree though I will also add, do the subs you're interested in have ports(a hole in the box) or not, as this affects bass response, I'm not about to check due to time constraints...
But in short, if a sub has a port, generally, depending how volume &/or sound levels, Crossover, Frequency Response on said sub, bass response may not be as tight or extended as you may like so this is important to keep in mind.

Hope this all makes sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #36 of 39
Ok, so I looked into getting a Macbook and it turns out Homepods can't be connected to it either (as desktop speakers)! Can you imagine? Technically they can be, but there will be half a second delay, rendering them useless for video calls, and Apple has no plans to fix it. Same story with Google Home Max speakers, which I also considered, and which have 3.5mm analog inputs. Just got off the phone with a Google support rep, and he told me the only way is to do Chromecast, which will also have a delay (and might have other issues as well).

So I think I will go with S350DB - the bass is ported, and listening to this test:

looks like it reaches down to about 42Hz (and surprisingly there's some audible rumble at around 25Hz), but that's with bass turned up all the way. I also considered S360DB, which has a wireless sub, but from reviews it seems like people don't like its harsh trebles (it has different tweeters), and I'm not sure they are intended to be listened to at close range (on a desk). S350DB is. I'm not sure yet where I would put the sub, it's not that large (compared to S730), so I might even be able to fit it on the desk.

Regarding speaker placement on desk - there are two options: below the monitors, and above the monitors on stands. The first option is the easiest, but not ideal - the tweeters would be way below ear level, and the speakers would have to be horizontal, not sure how would that affect the sound (all those things like soundstage, etc). The second option is less visually pleasing, but probably better from the acoustic point of view. @PaganDL I'm confused about those Dalfred stools - are you suggesting placing them onto a desk? They seem way too big for that. I'm thinking more of something like https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Adjustable-Mounting-STAND-V004/dp/B009S7IDJQ (quad monitor arm, screwing some larger plates onto the two vesa holders. Or, as you suggested, mounting each speaker separately on something like this: https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Single-Laptop-Notebook-Mount/dp/B00CM9NG1W which seems to be a visually cleaner approach, not sure yet.

Now that I'm thinking about mounting the speakers above the monitors - should I place them vertically or horizontally? Or maybe I should even consider using 2.0 system since the space is no longer limited to what has to fit below the monitors?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #37 of 39
Regarding speaker placement on desk - there are two options: below the monitors, and above the monitors on stands. The first option is the easiest, but not ideal - the tweeters would be way below ear level, and the speakers would have to be horizontal, not sure how would that affect the sound (all those things like soundstage, etc).

Height is just one way to achieve something else: equal pathlengths. Especially if you have good control over height, like wall mount arms that can be adjusted.

If you just have it flat then there's the problem of the tweeter being closer, so you hear the tweeter first (first diagram) and out of sync with the midrange, and potentially, you hear sharp treble since you're hearing the parts of certain notes coming off the tweeter out of sync with the part of those notes coming from the midwoofer.

This is one huge problem in a car with the midwoofer set so low even if you have the tweeter on the sail panel or the A-pillar, and that's before counting how nearly every car anybody is likely to own and put an audio system in is not a Maclaren F1.

That said, controlling the height isn't the only solution. Angling the speaker is one since it pushes the tweeter farther back. This is more of a thing in home audio since pro monitors expect users to be...well...pros. People who would and can mount them properly, or understand that they'd have to even if their income doesn't depend on it rather than complaining the sound sucks. Nearfield and even regular speakers in home audio can even have the front baffles already angled.

HF_007.jpg

Like this one, which is the same speaker I use for my laptop desk (although I have the 8wpc RMS v2 version).
10289829.jpg

Even towers that will likely be used from farther away might have them since they're not as tall as they look.

images
images

The downside to using an angled platform (as opposed to just getting a tiny speaker that's really angled upward) of course is it increases the surface area that will be taken up by the speakers.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #38 of 39
@michaelklachko,

Regarding the Dalfred Stools, I was simply suggesting, from the picture you posted, since it appears you have space on either side of your desk, between the cabinet on one side & sofa on the other, instead of agonising over where to put the speakers, just use the stools instead.

As @ProtegeManiac stated, speaker placement will depend on you more than anything else, so aside from height & primary listening position, how loud you listen will also matter which is why @ProtegeManiac also brought up how some Pro &/or Nearfields have specific designs for specific angles.

Hope this makes more sense.

Hope you have a great day "

Feb 6, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #39 of 39
I usually connect them directly to my laptop or iphone. I understand that HD600 might benefit from a headphone amp, so I've just ordered FX Audio DAC X6.

If we consider the entire spectrum of headphone sound signatures, and pick HD600 as one point on that spectrum, which other two points would you pick? Would you recommend trying different driver technologies (e.g. dynamic, planar magnetic, electrostatic, etc), or design type (open back, close back, in ear, etc)?

Re Hifiman Sundara, would you recommend them over LCD-1? I lean towards LCD-1 because they are significantly lighter, so I'm guessing they are more comfortable.
I'd say you avoid planars. They look nice on paper but are actually pretty power-hungry. Audezes are also way too heavy. I'd recommend something like AKG K7xx, brighter and more revealing, wide soundstage; while HD600s might be more forgiving and more intimate. Also, these AKGs are super comfy - I sometimes forget to take my K712 Pros off after I pause the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back