Recommendation for new headphones, $300 max price range?
Aug 6, 2013 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bwab

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

For the past few years I've been using a pair of Skullcandy Skullcrushers (with the boosted bass unit)

I am looking to purchase a new pair of headphones within the max price range of $300, but the less I can spend while retaining quality the better.

I don't know much about over ear/on ear headphones etc, so whatever you can recommend would be appreciated. The skullcrushers are over ear, and from experiencing them over a few years they do sometimes got uncomfortable. I am guessing this is due to the fact that the earmuffs didn't properly cover my ears.

I want to use my next pair to listen to my music (dub step, pop, metal, etc.) and watch anime/movies on my laptop/tablet. I am willing to give up the external bass boost that these headphones provide, but would still like a pair that has some good bass quality.

My friends have suggested Beats, but I want to hear other suggestions since I know that Beats are the most common recommendations.

Thank you!

Aug 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (open) headphones, $200
Will work plugged into just about anything.

Rakuten is selling a refurb close edition (ATH-A900X) for $130, plus tax & shipping.
and new ATH-A900Xs for $155, plus tax& shipping.

I paid $256 for my ATH-A900Xs

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 5
AD900x? LOL? What did you read that made those sound suitable?
confused.gif

I recommend the Creative Aurvana Live ($50-70), Audio-Technica M50 ($110-150), and the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm ($170-190).

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
AD900x? LOL? What did you read that made those sound suitable?
confused.gif

I recommend the Creative Aurvana Live ($50-70), Audio-Technica M50 ($110-150), and the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm ($170-190).

I would assume he would wanted to the closed A900X, just want to show there is an open version of the headphones.

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 5
(note: the Denon AH-D1001K is a much less bassy OEM of the Creative Aurvana Live. I used it because Headroom doesn't have a graph for the CAL.)

Both of the Audio-Technica headphones you recommended are fairly mid-focused, and I don't think that they are very good matches for the specific person here. I agree that they are probably more comfortable, but they're almost the opposite of the ideal signature here. Not to harp on about it forever, but just so you know why I was so surprised at the recommendation. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back