Recommendation for Neutral Headphones? Portable DAC for iPhone?
Feb 26, 2024 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

whyamiinthiswarudo

New Head-Fier
Hi, I’d appreciate some recommendations for a headphone or dac that I could get.

I have Shure earbuds and AirPods Pro 1 (the ones with a neutral signature). Shure has a more bassy neutral signature. I like these two enough, but I feel like they aren’t resolving enough.

So far I’ve listened to these headphones:
- Sennheiser HD 650 - very good, but the warm tilt combined with the veil kind of ruined the sound for me;
- Sennheiser HD 660S - same thing;
- HD 600 - I liked these the most so far, but I found that they were very uncomfortable with some music. System of a Down, for example, were just unpleasant to listen to.
- HD 560s - 70% as good as HD 600.
- Sony 1AM2 and XM3 - too bassy for me and they’d make my ears very warm;
- Shure SRH1540 - I liked these a lot, but the bass ruined them for me and they’re pretty pricey.
- Beyerdynamics DT990 - a little too bright for me;

I’m not sure what I’m looking for. I definitely like open-backed sound more and would get HD 600, but I’m feeling uncomfortable if the music is leaking out. I can’t focus on it and be immersed.

IEM sound like the perfect option, but I feel like they aren’t anywhere close the sound I could get from HD 600. Granted, I have not tried them with a DAC/AMP, AirPods obviously can’t be connected to a DAC and Shure - my current DAC isn’t portable. Maybe it would be enough to just get a DAC/AMP and the boost from high-res on Apple Music would be enough?

Could you give me a couple options?

I’m open to closed-backs that have good build quality and would last. Something that is a noticeable upgrade over my current earbuds and close to HD 600 ?

Not really looking for IEM recommendations since I have some. Any portable DAC for iPhone?

So, AKG K371 and ATH-70x seemed like a good option? I don’t know how much I’d like Harman. Bassy and low sound isn’t my favorite and I miss the mids.

Thanks

Oh! And maybe there is something with a noise-cancelling microphone? I’ve looked at one of the Sennheiser gaming headsets, but I’m reading that they aren’t resolving at all.

I can spend around $250

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 11
Best way to check all the boxes is made by Audeze. The Hyperx Cloud Orbit closed back planar magnetic headset with a mic made by Shure. I have two and they have a flat profile and several others. Really great noise isolation and on eBay way under budget for one in good condition. But in amp and DAC so you just need a USB port.

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 11
Best way to check all the boxes is made by Audeze. The Hyperx Cloud Orbit closed back planar magnetic headset with a mic made by Shure. I have two and they have a flat profile and several others. Really great noise isolation and on eBay way under budget for one in good condition. But in amp and DAC so you just need a USB port.
Hmm I don’t know. I could just stick with earbuds, but I’m used to resolution of HD 600

Feb 27, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 11
So, AKG K371 and ATH-70x seemed like a good option?
ATH-R70X are absolutely great but they are open-back like the HD600, and they need an amp to do their best.

They also have a 9-foot cord which might not be the best for "on the go"; you can find shorter replacement cords on Aliexpress and Amazon, but you have to make sure they are made specifically for the nonstandard ATH-R70X connector.

Put your budget toward headphones and amp before you worry about a DAC. Apple's built-in DAC is very good.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 11
ATH-R70X are absolutely great but they are open-back like the HD600, and they need an amp to do their best.

They also have a 9-foot cord which might not be the best for "on the go"; you can find shorter replacement cords on Aliexpress and Amazon, but you have to make sure they are made specifically for the nonstandard ATH-R70X connector.

Put your budget toward headphones and amp before you worry about a DAC. Apple's built-in DAC is very good.
Oh sorry, I meant the closed back ones. ATH 50x, I think. But I believe they are over my budget also.

Would it be able to drive stuff with iPhone, though? I remember noticing the difference when I listened to lossless vs lossy, that’s why I want to get a portable DAC. I’ve got my old desktop dac to sell, so that should cover it

Ifi dac maybe

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 11
In a brief listening, I was not a fan of the ATH-M50x. Very close-up sound, not spacious.

Another longtime budget closed-back stalwart, $85 at Amazon, is the Sony MDR-7506, a studio stalwart -- you see either the Sonys or the ATH-M40 or ATH-M50 a lot in session photos. Great for detail. Depending on your head, the Sonys can be tight, and they are hard-wired -- the coiled cable does not detach. But they are low impedance (63 ohm) and should play well out of anything.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 11
What about AKG K271?

I want something that is technically comparable to HD 600 and has a pleasant signature that doesn’t reduce mids and doesn’t enhance the lows and bass. Highs - I like some sparkle in the treble, but not too much or I can’t listen to it.

HD 600 gave me the issue with treble occasionally.

I think that closed back would be better for me, otherwise I’d just get 600 or 560s.

Mar 1, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 11
In a brief listening, I was not a fan of the ATH-M50x. Very close-up sound, not spacious.

Another longtime budget closed-back stalwart, $85 at Amazon, is the Sony MDR-7506, a studio stalwart -- you see either the Sonys or the ATH-M40 or ATH-M50 a lot in session photos. Great for detail. Depending on your head, the Sonys can be tight, and they are hard-wired -- the coiled cable does not detach. But they are low impedance (63 ohm) and should play well out of anything.
Oh sorry, I meant M70x. They have confusing names.. but yeah, M70X.

Are those Sony headphones good technically? Detail retrieval, resolution.

I could get Shure SRH 1540 again, but they’re really expensive and bassy.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 11
The Sonys are good for detail, yes. I have a pair, and they provide a closeup on the music: not a broad soundstage but a focus on detail. I prefer my ATH-R70X for general listening but the Sonys are very analytical.

I know recording engineers who use them for mixing, and they were recommended to me for recording podcasts.

You'd have to try them to see if they have too much treble for you. They do have serious treble -- but that's where the detail is. I just tried the sweep on audiocheck.net and they seem pretty smooth.

Someone put up a "Sibilance Test Tracks" playlist on Spotify (like Dusty Springfield: "Son of a Preacher Man") and yes, the MDR-7506 does spotlight vocals. But I didn't hear annoying sibilance.

They're so widely available you should be able to find someplace that offers free returns.

Mar 1, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 11
The Sonys are good for detail, yes. I have a pair, and they provide a closeup on the music: not a broad soundstage but a focus on detail. I prefer my ATH-R70X for general listening but the Sonys are very analytical.

I know recording engineers who use them for mixing, and they were recommended to me for recording podcasts.

You'd have to try them to see if they have too much treble for you. They do have serious treble -- but that's where the detail is. I just tried the sweep on audiocheck.net and they seem pretty smooth.

Someone put up a "Sibilance Test Tracks" playlist on Spotify (like Dusty Springfield: "Son of a Preacher Man") and yes, the MDR-7506 does spotlight vocals. But I didn't hear annoying sibilance.

They're so widely available you should be able to find someplace that offers free returns.
Hmm, thanks.
Would you say m70x are close to HD 600 as closed back alternative? Is it good for lossless music? I’m fine with my earbuds for lossy, but I think I get more from lossless on bigger headphones

I’d get 600, but I’m uncomfortable with open back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back