Recommendation for my next IEM upgrade
Dec 8, 2019 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ElcomeSoft

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

It has been a long time since I have been around these parts but I am in need of some collective wisdom.

I rotate between a pair of Fiio F9 Pro and TripleFi TF10 earphones using a 2.5mm connection into an Earstudio ES100. This is hooked up to an Android phone that'll handle AptxHD and LDAC, and I stream/download tracks from Tidal in their HiFi or Master quality options.

My main music of choice is metal but I do listen to most genres in my standard shorter playlist.

Out of my two best pairs of earphones, I struggle to pick a best. The Fiio feels a bit more aggressive and fun with metal with better separation and a nice dynamic driver punch but the TripleFi has much better isolation and an almost relaxing sound to it with some tracks.

My budget is a maximum of £250 and I'll be selling one of the above pairs of earphones to help fund my passion or madness.

Any suggestions?

Thank you :)

Dec 8, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 5
Hello all,

It has been a long time since I have been around these parts but I am in need of some collective wisdom.

I rotate between a pair of Fiio F9 Pro and TripleFi TF10 earphones using a 2.5mm connection into an Earstudio ES100. This is hooked up to an Android phone that'll handle AptxHD and LDAC, and I stream/download tracks from Tidal in their HiFi or Master quality options.

My main music of choice is metal but I do listen to most genres in my standard shorter playlist.

Out of my two best pairs of earphones, I struggle to pick a best. The Fiio feels a bit more aggressive and fun with metal with better separation and a nice dynamic driver punch but the TripleFi has much better isolation and an almost relaxing sound to it with some tracks.

My budget is a maximum of £250 and I'll be selling one of the above pairs of earphones to help fund my passion or madness.

Any suggestions?

Thank you :)

What sound signature do u prefer? More neutral, basshead, V shaped, harman tuned, treblehead?

I don't listen to metal, but a few folks in the Audiosense thread love the Audiosense T800 for metal. Most of them use the Rasone ES100 with it too. U shaped, great subbass extension/quantity for a BA bass. Retails ~ $298 USD, 8 knowles Balanced armatures each side.
It's my endgame all BA set, great details, instrument separation, clarity, imaging. It is a bit bright on the treble, so not the best if u are treble sensitive. But the treble can be tamed with knowles filters, eartips and cables. Maybe u can read more about it and see if it suits your needs.

All the best in your search!

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 5
What sound signature do u prefer? More neutral, basshead, V shaped, harman tuned, treblehead?

I don't listen to metal, but a few folks in the Audiosense thread love the Audiosense T800 for metal. Most of them use the Rasone ES100 with it too. U shaped, great subbass extension/quantity for a BA bass. Retails ~ $298 USD, 8 knowles Balanced armatures each side.
It's my endgame all BA set, great details, instrument separation, clarity, imaging. It is a bit bright on the treble, so not the best if u are treble sensitive. But the treble can be tamed with knowles filters, eartips and cables. Maybe u can read more about it and see if it suits your needs.

All the best in your search!

I think that I am more of a balanced guy, edging towards a V-shape but it's hard to tell. It's very subjective, even for an individual.

That T800 will probably set me back much more than £250 though. I can't locate a UK supplier and ordering from the official seller on AliExpress is £232 before any delivery and import costs.

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 5
You could take a look at the Tanchijm Oxygen. Also the FLC8D might be an option.

below 200 you could check out the Moondrop KXXS

Dec 9, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 5
You could take a look at the Tanchijm Oxygen. Also the FLC8D might be an option.

below 200 you could check out the Moondrop KXXS

These seem to be difficult to acquire in the UK but I'll persevere.

The Moondrop seems to be about £150 which is what I paid for my F9 Pro last year.

I was looking at the other Fiio offerings like the FH5 or FA7.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back