Recommendation for Indian music
Jan 16, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

please suggest some good samples of Indian (as from India) music.
Style does not matter, preffered is good quiality recording.

thx

--G

Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia - Live at Stuttgart 88 recording.

The Valley Recalls 1 and 2.

I have a few more good recordings one but need to dig in to it.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 13
This is like asking a recommendation for "American music"
smily_headphones1.gif

The styles of music originating from the subcontinent are so incredibly diverse, ranging from the sublime (Hindustani classical) to the kitschy (bad Bollywood remixes).

Anyway a good place to start is with Shiv Kumar Sharma (santoor - Indian dulcimer) and Ronu Majumdar (flute). Hariprasad, as recommended is great, too. Sorry I don't have suggestions for commercial recordings sold on amazon etc, because I buy my music from India.

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 13
OK. I gave you a couple Indian Classical suggestions (other artistes of note: Kishori Amonkar, Amjad Al Khan, Zakir Hussain).

A few recommendations in other genres:

MIDIval PunditZ (Electronica / Indian flavored Asian Massive sounds)

Raghu Dixit Project (Earthy, folksy Indian flavored rock)

A.R. Rahman (recent winner of the Golden Globe for the soundtrack to Slumdog Millionaire. Does tasteful Indian film scores).

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

please suggest some good samples of Indian (as from India) music.
Style does not matter, preffered is good quiality recording.

thx

--G

Bollywood puts out some great film soundtracks. Unfortunately the quality of the recordings isn't always good. It's Bollywood music after all and the large majority of people on that side of the world aren't listening to their music on expensive hi-fi systems.

The soundtrack to "Jab We Met" and "Gangster" are both fantastic. As stated by Ozric, A.R. Rahman is one of the big composers in India and is very good at what he does.

Kishore Kumar is (was) a famous composer and performer of Indian film music. He died in the 80s so the quality of his recordings is not great. His music is, however, very soulful and moving.

I don't know if it is easy to get Indian music where you live, but there a lot of sites that have MP3s. I'm sure it's illegal, but it's not always easy to get original Indian CDs outside the Indian subcontinent and the Middle East.

As far as Indian Classical music, one famous person is Bhimsen Joshi. A lot of his music is fairly old so the recordings aren't that great compared to stuff today.

If you are looking for Indian classical, try to find "Ragas" and "Bhajans." These are both types of Indian music.

Raga

Bhajan

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm ignorant about most Indian music, but I've got an Indian classical CD called River Yamuna, by the Karnataka College of Percussion (with guests), which is outstanding.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 13
the Ravi Shankar album Chants of India, produced by George Harrison, has very good sound quality.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 13
For film music, music director A.R.Rahman (oh and he won golden globe for best soundtrack for slumdog millionaire)is a safe bet. Some of his albums are very well recorded and mastered. If you can find the original disc, great, some of them are OOP and slightly hard to find.

Some of his notable releases for good songs and recording quality are Lagaan, Dil Se, Bombay, Taal (known to be his personal favourite since the movie itself was a musical), Yuva, Swades, Rangeela. You should be able to find these on amazon

Rhythm, Alai Payuthe, Kandukondein Kandukondein (these are south indian movies, Denon uses songs from the last one as their demo). Slightly harder to find the original discs, but easy to track down in mp3 format.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #13 of 13
mandolin u srinivasan, lalgudi violin, shashank flute...you might also just want to find out what ragas connect with you and search youtube for them.

indian music basically breaks down into classical vs. film (bollywood)

classical breaks into  hindustani or carnatic, which break into vocal or instrumental.  find a raga, type in an instrument & keep trying until you find a good combo that you like...easy as that on the surface!

a good starting place may be to look up the darbar festival in the UK & see what acts they book...those are probably the super popular ones and they have really nice production value, too (a lot of good indian music wasn't recorded or taped for distribution...mostly made for live events since it has been an oral tradition).

hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back